1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Tire wear

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Ashley, May 7, 2009.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I know there is no hard and fast answer, depends on road conditions, ridng style, and the rest, but...

On average, a rough ball park figure will do, how many miles would one expect to get out of a pair of dunlop tires, the ones that come standard as fitted on a new Softail? I do not mean until worn bare, but until worn to a point they are not exactly legal.
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

At LEAST 5,000 real English/American miles on the rear and 10,000 on the front. You can get another 5K plus each if you're a saner rider. Some get a whole lot more, but I could never be that careful or conscientious.
  3. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I ride sane. Mostly me, plus lady, plus gear, but neither of us are large, I'm about 150lb, she a bit less, and gear wise, we travel light. Riding is all on good quality roads.

The reason I ask is this. The tires have done just over 5,000 miles and there is a fair bit left in them. I'm planning to do 4,500 miles in June, which will push the tires to around 10,000 miles.

The dealership is saying they may not last to 10,000 and suggesting replace now, before going. I'd rather replace after for obvious reasons. Especially since when I get back I'll need to do the under warranty 10K mile service.

The dealership has more strongly suggested replacing brake shoes, this is fine, and probably vastly sensible.

I'm just hesitant to blow a load of cash on tires when I may well get the distance out of them (or close to it), especially when they quote £700.00 for tires, brake shoes, and labour.
  4. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

2 to 1 ratio
    approx 10-12,000 rear and abouut double for the front again for sane riding....
  5. Red Rider

I second the dealership: replace them now. If you were going to ride solo, I'd be all for you trying to go long on them...but I've been down with a passenger (my ex-wife) and it is something I'd not wish on anyone. Two-up on hot asphalt will increase that wear past my comfy zone.

But the price is INSANE! :cussing: :gah: Brake shoes take a few minutes to do, especially if you're already pulling the tires. Friggin' rat-azz crazy cost you're quoting.:wtf:
  6. 1988flhtc in nfld

1988flhtc in nfld New Member

13000 kms on a set of harley contentials .replaced the rear this year chicken strip was gettin pretty flat down to bout 1/8 "wear left, replaced the front just to get the white wall, verry little wear on the front could have easily gotten another year out of it.
  7. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

the price I couldn't comment on as it is euros or some thing correct, don't know the exchange rate and to lazy right now to find it out, as for the tires you seem to have half the life left in them, is there a shop in route to or from on the trip, if you figure you can get another 3000 out of them then change the tire/tires in route you might locate a few shops to call them so at the estimated distances you might hit their location and you will know that there is the service for your bike and if they stock your size tire. thus getting the full milage out of your tires.
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

dunlop 404's.......stock tires on hd....i got 8k on the rear and 14k on the front.....went to elite 3's and doing a lot better.....
  9. fujimo

fujimo New Member

tires

chucks 8k and 14k is about rite,,,i have gotten 9500 out of one rear,,,but ,,i mostely ride distance,,so not much stop start,,, i weigh about what the two of you,,,6 ft 4 in,,,280 to 290 lbs,,, my 04 has 100000 miles on it ,,that is 12 front tires,,, if you get 9000 ,,that is 11 front tires,,,,so why push it,,, the difference here is i run maxxis,,,57.00 apiece,,,, 684.00,,,dunlop,,,around 1500.00 plus,,, if you go back to my 02 ,,, thats 18 set of tires,,,, i have tried them all,,,mostely how you ride is what wears them differently,,,and wieght,,,, me and bike,,,not loaded for trip is 1250 lbs,,,tools and all,,, for trip 1350,,,, since 02 i have ridden 190000 miles,,,on two different harleys ,,,wore a goldwing ,,,81,,, totally out before that,,, pops
  10. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

brake shoes

....pucks or pads for the disc brakes right? shoes are for your feet and perhaps for vintage bikes. I'm guessing the 700 euros is for brakes all around and rubber front and back installed balanced and all that. I don't know what your financial situation is like but folks in your occupation on this side of the pond generally aren't hurting for cash. There's a couple of questions you can ask yourself..One's a Classic from Dirty Harry.."Do ya feel lucky" or my preference....."What's your time worth?" I don't gamble on tires and I've pulled off a tire that had some life left in it because I ws going on a long trip and I'm two up pulling a trailer. I've seen some folks lose a whole day on the road while waiting to get a tire changed out..that's a day hanging around a bike shop when you could be out there riding....I don't have that luxury. When I'm on vacation, I'm ready and so is the bike.
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Sleepy is absolutely correct, going on a trip replace it if its even got a couple thousand miles on it. Don't run the tire longer when its needs to be changed as they can go quickly.
    The biggest factor on tire tread life is the tire pressure. Keep the tire pressure at the correct pressure and you will get longer tire tread life.
  12. BikinDave

BikinDave New Member

Got around 7200 mi. on my rear tire, I ride an 07 Heritage. It was past the safety point when I changed it. Hope this helps.
  13. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

UK pounds. So in the region of USD1,000.00

Yeh, crazy price.
  14. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

It is in the order of 700 UK pounds (a thousand or so of your bucks) for front and rear tire, brake pads, labour, and tax. Yeh, I know, crazy cost. But the rear tire alone is in the order of 250 UK pounds.

If it needs doing I'll do it. I agree in full, there is never a reason to take risks with tires and brakes. I am not going to take those risks. To be honest, I'd rather get it done here in the UK. than in Italy or wherever it becomes necessary on the trip. For a start I don't lose a day riding, and second, I don't speak much Italian.

I asked because 15K on a rear tire is minimum of what I expect to get on my other bike (Dragstar 650), so less than 10K seems harsh especially given the price. I would also have expected a bit more miles on a front tire. I wanted another opinion, not just the view of a mechanic at a dealership. I am going to get another place to take a look, see if I get the same advice. I suspect I probably will regarding the rear tire and brake pads (as you guys call them), which is fine, the work gets done.

I could probably cut the cost a bit (maybe a lot) by going outside the dealerships, but the bike is under warranty. I think it makes sense to have the warranty intact for the road trip. The warranty expires a month or so after the trip at which point going elsewhere becomes something to consider.

It is frustrating to dump half worn tires, to go an a 4 week trip and to come back with half worn tires. But if necessary, such is life, and I value my skin more than half used rubber.
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
  15. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

I just bought a 150-80/16 Dunlap from an outfit in Oregon and had it shipped to my door for 60-70 plus dollars less than any stealership around here. Tried to support local shops but not gonna get that deep. Got a tube today and I'll be putting it on tomorrow in about an hour on the lift at my buddy's house.
    I get about 9.5-10k on them and I put it to them all the time. nice even wear and do not forget to use the Dyna Balancing beads!!!

Tire 127 dollars,tube 16 dollars and the pad I put on last year Brembos were not that bad price wise. I will not use them again though.
    Labor is me- Getting to know your bike- Priceless

Later
    Voo1:cool:
  16. jp13

jp13 New Member

I am going on my 2nd change on rear and 1st front. I got 6300 on 1st back, 7200 on 2nd back tire. Will change front out this time at 13500. These are dunlops.
  17. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

tires

On my "03 FXDX I get about 15k on the front, 12k on the rear. I run Dunlop D401's. I could run a couple more thousand on each, but the wet traction starts to go when the tread gets thin.
  18. DeuceBones

DeuceBones New Member

Hey Voodoo,
    I was reading threads about tire wear and which ones to buy when I came across your reply. I am thinking purchase from internet and mount myself.
    Still don't have clear answer on brand of tire, but what do you mean about the Dyna Balancing beads? I'd also be interested in hearing your advice on brand. I ride an "02 Deuce which currently has 180 Screamin' Eagle rear and
    90-21 Dunlop on front. I have no preference in tire. Just need to replace.
    Thanks
  19. Red Rider

DeuceBones - I'm using those beads right now in both tires on my Road King. The beads work great and come with two unbeatable traits that make 'em worth every penny:

1. They will never ever fall off during riding

2. They don't show - no crappy lead slugs stuck to the expensive wheels anymore

Here's the link: Tire Balancing Products

They work as good as advertised!
    :cheers:
  20. DeuceBones

DeuceBones New Member

Thanks Red Rider for the info on the Dyna Beads. I'd never heard of them. Looks like an interesting product to give a try. Now all I have to do is get some tires.