1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Tires

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by surfit, Aug 3, 2006.

1. surfit

surfit New Member

I will be needing a new back tire soon for my 2001 Dyna Wide glide. Is wider better? Where is the best place to get one and any input on brands would help.
    Thanks
  2. LawnMower

LawnMower New Member

I am a fan of the Metzler mMaratons. Good tread pattern and long lasting. I just put a 140 series on the back of my FLHR. And i like it and the price is reasonable. DP carries them as well as most any bike shop. I've also heard good things about Avon tires. Its mostly a factor of finding a tire that fits your riding style and budget.

LawnMower...
  3. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

I'd take an Avon over a Metz any day of the week.
  4. SK

SK New Member

Each brand is different when it comes what style of tire.

I like Dunlops on my cruiser..big beefy 150 series tires on my Royal Star handle and stick very well, which I'll take over how many miles I can get on em.

On the FJR, which uses a sport tire, I like the Metzler ME6..wouldn't use a Dunlop sport tire.
  5. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

i took the stock HD tires off my 04 low rider and put metzler on, unreal what it done for the ride and handling . first time out my wife ask me what i had done to the bike before i ever hit 5th gear. i just ordered a new 07 road king screaming eagle, as soon as i get it i'm going to the tire shop to have metzler's put on it.
  6. AFBombBldr

AFBombBldr New Member

What model Metz tires do you have DK?

Joe
  7. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

I dislike the Dunlops. For me, Dunlaps done did their last lap.
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

on my 06 eg i like the way the dunlops handle 2 up and the roads, but i am not fond of the mileage.....about 8000 miles for the rear and maybe twice that for the front. and i dont "hotrod"......would like to find longer lasting tires with at least the same handling.....wet or dry
    chuck
  9. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Well I must say that I have not run a Dunlop in a very long time, so, my opinion is rather dated. I would like to think that they make a better tire then they use to. From what I hear is that they will give a about the best mileage of any tire, but then, I could be wrong as I have no recent experience with them.
    I’m a Avon guy. ;)
  10. chucktx

killer........what bike do you have the avons on and what model# on the tires??
    thanks
    chuck
  11. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

I’m currently running the Avon Venom radial AM42 on the back, and the Venom (AM41) non-radial on the front, they did not have the front radial available when it was time to purchase tires. The tires are on a Dyna Wideglide copy (custom). I imagine that you need a longer lasting tire for your heavier cycle. I usually get around 10K out of the back tire.
    If your not doing burn-outs you will get fair mileage out of them. I cant see me using another tire.
  12. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I've put literally thousands of miles on motorcycles in the last 40 plus years and to me the worst tire was the Metz . I have never had any luck with them nor any decent fuel economy and luck should not have anything to do with it. The tires that have just held up well and given me more good to great mileage are the Dunlop's. The new Dunlop Elite 3 has been reported as a great tire. :)
  13. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Whatever The Funds Allow At The Time. My Last Rear Was A Duro, 51 Bucks! Cant Beat The Price And Cant Tell The Differnce From The Old Dunlop. Might Even Be A Dunlop Knock Off It Has Pretty Much The Same Tread Pattern.
  14. chucktx

thanks killer and flht.......:)
    chuck
  15. surfit

surfit New Member

Thanx for all the input. I went with the Dunlop D401 150x80E16 when all was said and done it was $190.00. The guy that did the work was very helpful with characteristics of each brand of tire and alot of info on other things that I should keep an eye on. Is it customary to tip the guy doing the work?
  16. SK

SK New Member

When I have my guy tune my bikes up, I usually leave him a case of beer. I haven't found a place in Las Vegas yet though..as my mechanic is in Modesto, CA.
  17. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

Hey Man, Sorry it took me so long to answer, but i'm out of town thru the week. I have the Marathon ME880, 100/90 on the front and 150/80 on the rear. i asume since u and your wife have bikes u ride single most/all the time, these tires will be even better for you all, about 98% of the time i'm riding 2 up. i have better than 6,000 miles and tires with plenty of tread remaining.

Live Easy, Ride Hard