1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Tires

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jp13, Mar 2, 2009.

1. jp13

jp13 New Member

Just wondering what tires you run and how many miles you are getting out of them?
    I have dunlops on my 07 lowrider, no burn outs , check air pressure. I got 6100 out of my rear, Put 6k last year and will need to change again. Front needs to be changed also 12k. Seems like I could get 10k out of the rear.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the stock tires that come on the hd dont have a long life, but they do hold the road good....they are of a softer compound....i was putting 3 rears on a year...about 15k.....
    i have switched to the dunlop 3 elites.....seems to be giving me more milage and the handling is good. i run an electraglide, 2up and pull a trailer....hope this helps. be prepared for a ton of answers, about as many as there are tire mfg's. everyone has there opinion, i just happended to answer first!!!!! have fun!!
  3. fujimo

fujimo New Member

i am second,,,,and i buy maxxis,,,only because they cost 57.00 dollarsi have ran tires that cost 200.00,,,same deal ,,,will get 8500,,,to maxxis 9100 to one time 9600,,,, if you can feel the difference in the ride,,,you may find one that suits you,,,, as long as they wear out about the same,,,, why pay for the ride,,,unless you are racing ,,, mine is ultra,,,and i wiegh LOTS,,,but than my buddy is only 170 and his tires wear out about the same,,,, mine do not get burned out ,,,as my miles are all on trips,,,my bike was ,,,this bike ,,,bought in may 04,,,has 100000, miles on it now,,, last one was 02,,,, had 50000, miles in first year,,, pops
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yep, chuck is right but recommend not replacing with a stock tire if you want more mileage. I'm kind of wondering what this new fat rear tire on my 09 Ultra is going to get.
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I run the metzlers on my 03 E glide about 12-15K on the rear hold the road good in dry or rain
  6. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Been riding two up, changed the rear (Dunlap) three times while the front had 18,000 and could have gone another 5,000. (Avon) Ride is so much better with the Dunlaps front and back. (Ultra) Seems the back will not last long loaded.....
  7. Mayor

Mayor New Member

$57.00.....I feel raped.....($340.00 plus Instalation!)
  8. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

I got 9000 out of my original Dunlops. 2 up on a WideGlide. Went with Michelins this time. Really handle and ride nice. That skinny front tire especially seems to hold the road better in wet, and doesn't follow cracks or tar strips as bad as the last ones did. Cant tell you about mileage yet. Sorry
  9. duke76

duke76 New Member

I just bought a set of Avons a couple of weeks ago, I did lots of research and the consensus was from the people I talked to, the Avons were the stickiest tire but may not last as long, the stock dunlops have decent mileage but follow every crack in the road, and not quite as sticky as the Avons, the Brazil Metzelers are junk but the German Metzelers are fine and lots of people really like the German metzellers and I think they are all being made in germany again after lots of complaints, the dunlop elite 3 tires are sticky and great ride with good mileage but if you want wide white Walls you are out of luck. hope this helps Todd
  10. jp13

jp13 New Member

thanks 4 the input.
  11. softtail

softtail New Member

Good Question

jp13 I have the same question. I have a '96 Heritage SoftTail with Progressive air shocks on the back. I bought the bike about 3 years ago w/ 10K on the clock and now have 27K. It has the stock Dunlops and they have done ok. Decent mileage about 10K in back and good handling in rain, but follow every bump or groove which is a bit of pucker factor at 90MPH. They also seem to have no sidewall strength and I rim them all the time on heavy bumps here in the upper Midwest.

I am thinking of going to the Avon's with higher sidewall strength. They come recommended by Avon and guaranteed to fit my ride.

My question? Anyone have comments about the Avon Venoms before I spring for the blackwalls? I really want to switch from the Dunlops. Especially how they do in the rain?
    Appreciate all comments!

Softtail
  12. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

softail the avon venems are good tires & seem to hold up good , I run the metlzers 880 tourning on my 03 E Glise for the weight & they hold stright on the road sun or rain & don't follow the black snakes they corner as good as I want them to easy or hard ( I have draged on some corners )
  13. softtail

softtail New Member

Thanks Cowboy, I have never run the Metz's before but have run Avon's many years ago on a rigid. Loved them then. Well over 15K mileage, still looked good. Just looking to change from the stockers. The Dunlop's have never given me any trouble, just never had the comfort level and they do like to wander a lot. I ride with the PGR and put on a lot of miles. Just feel worn out when getting home. Always leery and seem to fight the bike. Just not comfortable as I would like.

The Avon Rep says these are the touring grade tires. I don't know anyone running the Metz's here. Everyone seems to run the stocks. My bike carries a lot of weight (about 1125 lbs) all the time so need the better tires.

Thanks again
    Softtail
  14. BikinDave

BikinDave New Member

Got about 7500 out of my stock dunlops. But was overdue when I got em changed.

Definitely gonna be paying close attention on the new one to the air pressure.

Would like to see some posts on: increasing air pressure to improve wearability and the tradeoff on handling.

Bd
  15. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I had bad luck I guess with the Avon's. Tried them on another touring bike I had and could never wear out a set as they would get splits in them. They replaced them under warranty but still the second set split also and went over a cattle guard on the way home out in the boonies when the rear split open and went flat. So went to the Dunlap Elite II and went over 12,000 without any trouble.

I have heard some good things about the Michelin tires for Harley's but have not tried one.
  16. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Got great miles out of the Avons, but, different from what others has said I found them to be harder than the Dunlaps.....I will give up miles for the safty and feel of the bike....just my 2 cents worth
  17. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

One of my bro's swear by Avons... I own the Metz 880's... Love 'em... another bro switched from Avon's to Metz's... He loves 'em. Got 15K on my front andgetting it replaced this week. 12K on my rearand still going...:)