1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

To dyno or not to dyno

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by billym64, Feb 22, 2008.

1. billym64

billym64 New Member

hello everyone! just wanted to know everyones opinion on getting a dyno done. my 2006 fxdli low rider has had all the work done.(vance/hines big radius, power commander, arlen ness big sucker II and a monster baffle installed.) my question is, (and i hope its not asked too many times!) do i need to get a dyno, or should i wait-take it for a ride and see how it goes from there. its still in storage cuz the snow is still flying outside! i just have know idea what to do. the dealer said to wait and see how it runs first before getting it done. any thoughts or comments?? thanks a lot!! bill
  2. 02dyna

02dyna New Member

I'd take a ride first. If the power commander was set for your changes you may need only minor adjustments. If putting it on a dyno will put your mind at ease and you don't mind paying to have it done go for it. Just my opinion.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

There is a difference in getting your bike dyno'd and having your bike dyno tuned.

If it were me, at a minimum I would get the bike dyno'd and make sure that the operator uses the AFR probe to give you a run with both HP and TQ and AFR so you can see if it's really lean.

I would imagine a good operator will tell you they can improve your power and fuel mileage etc which they probably can.

Be sure your rear tire is inflated properly, also just watch and see if they check the rear tire pressure, it's a sign of a good operator, some might forget but they should always check pressure.

After doing this you can determine if you want to tune it, and if it needs it, and then what software or device you wish to use to tune

SERT
    PCIIIusb

two of the most popular.
  4. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

If the $$ isn't a problem, I'd dyno it. Runs usually are around $70, though that can vary wildly. Even if you only do a straight check run, you'll get a lot of good info that can help you down the road.

Dyno tuning is real good,too - just make sure you dyno it at roughly the same altitude as your primary riding; i.e., if you live in Denver or Sante Fe you don't want to dyno tune it when your in Galveston or Daytona.

:cheers:
  5. billym64

billym64 New Member

thanks guys. i appreciate it!! bill
  6. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

i'd go this route first. with the way the weather is it's hard to tell whats up with it till you you get the oportiunity to really run it, at it's normal operating temp. sounds like you're on the right tract, you just need the time and weather to experiment a little. Have fun:devil:
  7. billym64

billym64 New Member

ok, ill wait and take it for a ride in late march!! hopefully! dealer promised that they would take it out first and work the kinks out if there were any. thanks again guys!! bill