1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

To slide or not

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Bockstroker, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Bockstroker

Bockstroker Member

I have an '89 883 that I would like to get running. Would it be smart to replace the vac slide for age, just to ensure it works correctly? The bike has sat for +5 hrs. and As far as I know the slide is original.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The slide should be fine but the rubber diaphragm it's connect to should be inspected or replaced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Bockstroker

Bockstroker Member

So the diaphragm is available seperately?
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure if it's offered as a unit or not, been a while since I've messed with a CV carb

Heres a link to the parts for a CV with the PN and prices, item 52 is what we're
    discussing, also don't drill out the hole in the bottom of the slide to a larger hole which is an old "trick" to make the slide come up quicker, it generally ends up in causing a fluttering slide and shitty running bike.

If the rubber is in good condition, no rips or tears then just go with it
    as is and clean up the carb.

http://cv-performance.com/harley-cv-carburetor-parts-diagram

They have a performance upgrade kit at CV
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Sorry for the late reply, this one slipped by.

There are sellers (mostly ebay) that have the diaphragm separately but I don't recommend them. Many versions of the slide had glue inserted when the plastic plates were pressed around the rubber diaphragm making it near impossible to get a new diaphragm worked in between there.

As much as I'd like to sell you a new slide, unless your slide is damaged you really don't need to replace it. They can actually last a long time, and wear or damage usually comes from excessive overheating, multiple lean backfires, or damage during installation that compromises the edge of the soft diaphragm by way of pinching.