1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Today's Ride

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Jul 29, 2012.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

What a Blast today.
    Maddog, Jim and myself rode up to the Volcano MT Saint Helen's today. This is what the Mountain looks like now. You can see the MT venting in one of the photos, yep she's still active. Great ride up there with the HOG chapter. There is a before and after pic to.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343615830.503653.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343615857.598976.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343615878.878023.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343616048.073753.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  2. FLHTbiker

3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, no fear of another BOOOOM! ?????

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
  4. FLHTbiker

No it will be decades while the dome in the center rebuilds itself to a peak.
  5. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

still scary ! dont like volcanos . but bet the ride was nice
  6. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

That had to be an awesome ride. I was living in Monterey, Calif. when the eruption occurred. In a few more months I would meet Mac for the first time.

Thanks for the video. Sobering.
  7. FLHTbiker

We rode for 7 miles in the area where the old growth timber was blown over like match sticks and all laying in the same direction. Some areas have been replanted and eventually all of the timber will return. What was interesting was the original Spirit lake, the water was thrown up and against a mountain side. The new lake is now 200 feet higher than the old lake and old Harry and his 7 plus cats are all buried in it. Total of only 57 people were killed in the blast. They had evacuated and closed the lake weeks before, probably a good thing. The observitory where we were is named after a geologist by the name of Johnston who was observing the MT that morning and the last thing he said on his radio was I don't think I'm going to make it out. He didn't and is also buried up there someplace. It's an ausome sight to see in real life.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012