1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Too much fuel at idle, rich

Discussion in 'CVP Stage 1 Tuners Kit' started by lowryder, Dec 26, 2007.

1. lowryder

lowryder New Member

Ez Idle adjuster, too much fuel at idle, rich

Not sure if this is the crorrect area for htis post. I bought the HD tuner kit with jets, emulsion tubes, ez idle screw etc. My bikes idles at 1200 rpm have 3.5 turns on mixture screw but has gas coming out where the needle valve slides into the main emullsion tube and jet, at idle. I installed the needle valve in the kit, it is al little shorter than OE.

My thoughts are this, and tell me if i am wrong. No fuel should come out the needle avalve unitl on throttle. so is th diaphram not sitting far enought down, the needle valve is wrong? The bike has only 300 miles and is a 2003 low rider.

Any thoughts welcome

Brian
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Just to verify, this is the Deluxe Stage 1 Kit sold through Harley Performance, correct? There are a couple of things you'll want to check on. While the needle is slightly shorter you should not have excessive fuel coming out of the emulsion tube nozzle. Fuel does come out of the
    • Check that the S/S nozzle is in place above the emulsion tube, protruding into the venturi.
    • Needle is seated inside the slide followed by the plastic spring holder and spring
    • Needle is held down by the spring holder and cannot freely move up into the vacuum slide
    • Main jet is tightly installed in emulsion tube
    • Slide diaphragm is not pinched
    • Float was not adjusted or had the tab bent causing it to overflow fuel up into the carburetor body.

Please contact me directly if you have more problems or need help resolving this.
  3. lowryder

lowryder New Member

Running Rich

Thank you Ken, for the emails and feedback.

Right now it seems okay, i have not done any extensive driving since i replaced the BAD fuel inlet needle valve. It idles smooth at 1100 rpm, mixture seems close, float is .4360, main is 190, low speed is 46.

Not as much fuel coming out of the needle valve, as before, since you say some is normal at idle, ill accept that.

K& n shoul dbe here this week, Screamin eagle mufflers later on. Will install after preliminary bugs are gone. I at a time. Then i can play fuel mixture again, if needed.

Power is smooth up to 55oo rpm. at 70 maph in 3rd gear, back off throtle 1/4 turn, no increase in rpm of rpm fall off. So i believe i am pretty close on the mail jet
    I dont have that rich smell anymore. Not sure what fuel avergae is, time will tell, its cold..

Thank you again for your emails adn support!

Brian Workman :)