1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Top end coming off

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by voodoo1, Feb 27, 2008.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

Ok been putting this off on the dyna02. Gotta take heads off this one, gonna surface and stop the leak (no it ain't the rocker gasket). Gonna stick a set of adjustable rods, not gonna change the cam for now. Later on when the mood and money strikes I am gonna put in a set of "bolt ins". Is Never done it that way before. The stealership said there enough adjustment in the rods in order to not have to take off top end again, they do it all the time and even ask what someone's intentions are?!. Used to taking the the ol' bolt cutters to it an doing everything at once. Doing it here at the machine shop before it(shop) is sold.:cool: anyone? that knows? oh well maybe I'll get the cams too and call it a day.:cool:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

no problem on using the adjustable rods.....there is plenty of room to remove them any time the need arises............keep us posted!!!!!!!:)
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

to quantify the situation

there are adjustables
    there are time saver adjustables

Adjustables will let you change the cam without pulling the rockers but, they don't collapse enough to be installed or removed completly without taking the rocker covers off cranes are like this

Time savers as they were once called allow the complete removal of the pushrod and they come with wider covers
  4. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

thanks

glad from I heard from you two. Just as soon as I am done working 7 days aweek 10 hours days for over a month I am gonna get to it. Thought about a crane cam too. looking in to low-mid torque. I have done this b4 but always on the lokout for those little nuances that can turn up and BAM cost a pretty penny more than ya thought it would.
  5. chucktx

i guess crane changed there design....i have a set in my pan and there is plenty of adjustment to remove them......:)
  6. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

wow

60 bucks for gaskets but HD$179 for pushrods..... maybe I 'll go Smith Brothers and a crane cam and call it a day for the same price or less. it'll be less pushrod weight and wear on the parts anyways(probaby not alot of weight difference between adjusts and non adjusts but weight is weight in an engine drive train(built in racing genetics from my Dad) .....Hmmmmmm dang it... good thing this is fun.....necessary though. Got more time than money to shop around. Gonna have fun this summer. Still gotta be trip worthy and not stopping due to 40mpg vs 50. Trying to get the best of both on this one. Just glad I am blessed to be able to tear into and put these back together and enjoy it. Owe that to my pops and his drag racing lifestlye for over 6 1/2 decades. you should have see my chore list....mow the grass/port and polish the heads and change out the muncie in the camaro. Glad he did that for me. I remember packing the grease into the wheel bearings after changing brakes on the family truck at ten yrs old by myself and never thinking twice about it. Wow good times and good things to know. Thanks for any extra input from ya all about this. I enjoying gaining others knowledge and attempting it myself. Never have backed down from a wrench and never gonna. :cool:
    Fun light to light, low mid torque( me luv lotsa-torque!) and get up on the on ramps but good cruising on the highways(heat mileage).... not gonna mess with any sprockets on this one I REALLY MEAN that(for now) ...:D :cool: ONly advantage right now for adjust is this bike will be stripped in two year and used for a one wild ride all out bar hopping beast.(but still looks stock, I really like that sleeper mentality) Then the Deluxe will be the choice of tripping for me. But for now the dyna WG still fiils the thrill and never bother me at any distance. Now I am rambling.. dang energy drinks....:D :cool:
  7. chucktx

sounds good voodoo......and ya got the right attitude....if something dont work ya want to know why!!!! and ya got the background to find the problem! small world..........:)