1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Top end noise

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by viking, Jul 4, 2012.

1. viking

viking New Member

My brother bought a 2001 ultra it has been upgraded to a 103 and the cam case has been redone with s&s gears andrews cams(not sure which ones)but no head work was necessary. He had alot of top end noise so not knowing what had been done to the bike had it all looked at by a mechanic. He said everything was done right with good stuff except for the oil pump which was original so he put in a new pump and new lifters. He still has the same top end noise and a new one sounds like a bad lifter (tock tock tock). We were all set to leave on a trip and he decided to run it like it was and if it blew up so be it. We did 2638 Klicks and it ran like a charm no problems ran strong still makes the same noise no worse and some are telling him it is just a noisey engine and some are like that. If it is the cams and gears he would go back to chains and stock cams to get rid of the noise if he has to, it really bothers him. He is taking it back to the machanic again to see what he thinks but he asked me to ask you guys if any of you had anything like this. The topend noise sounds like it has no oil(it would have blown up by now if that were the case)and he has good oil presure. Could it be just backlash in the gears?
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

prob so . when the bike is cold and oil is thick does it quiet down a bit ? and as it warms up and the idle drops down after about 20 min worth of riding time does it get louder ? s-s gear drives will make a clacking sound also if its a 103 all bore with forged pistons chances are some one left some clearence for piston to wall forged pistons require more space and those that are done with uncoated skirts tend to rattle more in the bore . sounds like a harley with a hoped up motor . im sure he will get a custom to the sound . try a little heavier oil like harley 50 weight in the summer for temps above 80 deg the service manul states for a twin cam its fine . i live in south fla and i have run 60 in all my hopped up twin cams . the run fine . and my bagger is pretty hopped up all the best hope i have help solve your question .
  3. viking

viking New Member

Thanks I will pass that along to him.He thought of trying a heavier oil but we were not sure if it was o.k. for a twincam. We used to run 60 wieght in our shovels.I am sure he will want to try that.For me when a noise is a normal noise you can get used to it but it sort of ruins your ride when you think it is going to blow up.Thanks again
    Viking
  4. kenc

kenc New Member

My 2006 roadking is making the same noise,i'm going to try heavier oil also see if it goes away.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Remember they are air cooled engines, with big fins, add in a bagger faring and you're gonna hear noise, mine makes a bit more when hot up top and it's stock internally, my 95 inch softail with Woods 6h was a clapper, it loved to run and had that hot rod tackkity tack valve train.

If you like them quiet, keep them stock... could be the cam profile is aggressive giving it a bit more noise.