1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Torque Cones, Baffles, or Performance Rings

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by sledmedic, Jun 11, 2004.

1. sledmedic

sledmedic New Member

I bought a pair of the Samson Rip Saw pipes for my 2002 FXSTBI from the Big Gun series a long time ago. I also went with the SE air cleaner and had the dealer install the Stage 1 download. I noticed a dramatic decrease in the low end and mid range since putting the pipes on and finally want to correct it. I have also noticed the rear cylinder is running lean (excessive bluing on the rear pipe only) but have heard little "lean pop". I have a few questions. Will I benefit from installing the Dyno Power Commander and mapping it myself to correct these issues (even being inexperienced with mapping, i.e. is it user friendly for someone who has been tinkering with carbs for 10 years)? To correct the loss in the low and mid range, will the performance rings help or would the shortie baffles or torque cones be better? This way I am increasing backpressure for that engine range for improved power. Can I use the baffles in conjunction with the cones or rings? My main question lies with the baffles, rings, or cones and what will be best to use. Please help, I'm clueless but want to optimize my performance in all power bands!!!!
  2. VYBR8R

VYBR8R New Member

The only way to truely know if you are getting the best combimation is by dyno tuning your bike. By trying the various combinations you can find which actually give you the desired power in the proper band to match your riding style. You are seeing the typical hi end power curve that straight pipes afford, no bottom or middle end and everything comes on about 3500-4000 rpm. That's why they are called drag pipes. Torque cones will get you some of the bottom end that you are missing and so will the installation of baffles to get the back pressure right so you aren't drawing most of your fresh charge straight out the exhaust.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Drag pipes suck the life out of the bottom end torque cone. Look and sound good though.

Baffles are the key make sure you run baffles, torque cones may or may not help I have put in a set to see zero change, but others differ.

You could go with a DFO as it will be the least cost method of adding fuel, a powercommandr is a great tool and you might get close with the map you download.

In the long haul a good dyno tune is the best method, however go watch the shop that does the tunes, do they have a 150 or 250 dynojet, do they have the weather station, is it turned on and properly setup, do they always use a Air Fuel meter rod in the exhaust, or do they roll the bike on, air up the rear tire fiddle with the igintion and hand it back.

make sure the bikes warmed up before it goes on the dyno and make sure you have the rear tire aired up properly. Ask around about a good tuner or find out if www.drdyno.com or Rolling thunder dyno John golden is coming to an event near you and get them to do a tuneup they do it for a living and come each year to the events so they have to work at it and do it right, not that some won't be problems.