1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Torque Cones???

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by softtail, May 3, 2006.

1. softtail

softtail New Member

:confused: Hey guys,

I am running a 96 Heritage with SE A/C, SE Slash Cut slip ons, and am working on the carb to get the stage one. I will work in the ignition as the budget allows.
    My question is: Does anyone have experience with torque cones? I understand the need for them in drag pipes but how about my set up? I am still running the stocks headers with the crossover.

I haven't seen much as to the use of them and the benefits if any on anything other than drags.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
    Ride Safe,
    Bruce:confused:
  2. goats_hogs

goats_hogs New Member

I ran them on a 1996 Road King with drags and EV27 cam with S&S carb. I was not impressed at all. Ran as well without them far as I could tell. I had 5 different exhaust systems on that bike before I was happy with both sound and performance.

For your application, I'd think you'd not need them anyway. You should have free'd up the exhaust flow, but not like drags would. You should have some backpressure with your setup, and that's what the cones are supposed to do anyway.

Always loved the sound of drags, but hated what they do to performance on an Evo at anything other than WFO.....
  3. softtail

softtail New Member

Torque Cones

Thanks Goats_Hogs.

I appreciate the input. I suspected as much but I was looking at the possibility.

What did you end up with for your pipes?
    I used to run a '70 sporty chopped and drags 42". It ran pretty well but I had to tune it rich with the 38mm Branch Mikuni I was running. It would run over 110mph. That is a round slide w/o acc. pump. I thought it was great carb and would run one again. I do like the CV though except for the burned knuckles from the idle screw. Have to get one of those fancy adjusters.

thanks again,
    softail
  4. goats_hogs

goats_hogs New Member

softtail, what I ended up with may not work for you. I went back to the stock headpipes (I like the true duals and may end up with a set before it's over on my 1991 FLHS) and got the Python slip ons. For a bagger, it looks balanced, very free flowing pipe, and about 1/2 to 2/3s the price of some of the high end stuff. I bought a set of dual oval V&H slip ons back when I bought my 2004 Road Glide new. They set me back around $500 at the stealership. Pythons are cheaper, I like the look better, the sound better, and the performance is great. They are not quiet though, even with the baffles in. They sound good at idle, not too loud, just right. running thru the gears easy, they don't make alot of sound either, just a nice rumble. Twist the wick, or get it up around 3,500 plus, and they sound like drag pipes, only not quite as harsh or loud. Very similar note though. I loved that set up so much, when I started fixing up this bike last fall (1991 FLHS) I upgraded stock pipes on it to the newer style, just to run the Pythons.

I really love the old bike best. I've put 3k on it since Oct, and only about 500 on the Road Glide. I'll use the Glide for trips mostly, and occasional rides to keep it exercised.

Wow, just noticed you are in Indy. I'm 20 miles north of Richmond, and have both a sister in Indy and a sis-in-law. We should hook up sometime.

Later, Brent
    Last edited: May 4, 2006
  5. softtail

softtail New Member

Pipes

goats_hogs, yea man, I live in Indy on the east side no less. I have been looking for a reason to ride that direction.

When I got the bike it came from one of the guys I work with. He is not a wrench but had all the work done at the dealer. It had 10.5K on the clock. Very nice for an older bike.

He had busted out the baffles and it had a terrible high pop. It actually hurt the ears. Not good for a Harley. It had the baloney cut slip ons with Harley Davidson in script on the rear muffler. Just like the SE's. I got the last pair of the SE's from the dealer and he said they are discontinued from the MoCo, EPA crap. Anyway, they sound much better and performance is real good.

I hear they are the quietest pipes out there other than stock but they seem to lack the low rumble we all love so much, at least while I am in the saddle. Everyone says they sound great, but not to me. That is why I was looking into the cones. I live in a quiet neighborhood and don't want to upset the locals, you know the kids and all.

I did run 42" drags on my Sporty and they sounded great but I had to get baffles after a run in with a local Motor Officer. Oh well. I still am looking at getting something else to get the rumble but not in the budget as yet. Still working on the ignition purchase. :D

I have been over to your neck of the woods to a western boot shop out in the middle of nothing. Nice place, Good People. I don't recall the name. I think it was straight North of Richmond about 12 miles or so. Do you know the place? I would like to hook up and do some miles sometime. Let me know.

I hear there is a motorcycle museum of some kind over near Columbus, Ohio and that would be a nice ride.

Bruce
  6. goats_hogs

goats_hogs New Member

You were lucky to have found a nice clean bike with miles like that and ten years old too. My '96 Road King had 64k on it 2 years ago, when I sold it to buy the 2004 Road Glide. It was really clean, looked like a well cared for 20k bike. I missed that bike so much, I fixed up the FLHS just like it.

I know the boot shop well, and the owner. It's only about 7 miles from me. I'm maybe 14 miles north of I-70 and US 27 intersection. The shop is Louis's Boot Barn. I was good friends with the original owner, he started it in an old barn when he retired from driving a truck. He looked just like Santa Claus, and my son at the time was sure he was. Probably been 20 years ago.... nice to remember back on it.......

My sister lives up just off Brooks School Road, north of the Giest Marina. In the "poverty" area, she calls it, with 10 feet of yard. Sis-in-law lives just south of I-70 in Cumberland. So I'm over your way alot. I used to go to the car cruises down at Sam's Club, and at the mall there. I had a 1970 GTO with a 400 and a 4-spd. Blue with white stripes. Maybe you saw it over there.

Shoot me an email if you want to put some miles on sometime. My schedual varies, but I'm sure we can hook up to ride someday. goats_hogs@yahoo.com
  7. CD

CD Guest

AR cones......If you want to lower reversion and loose top end....AR cones are not usually necessary with anything but drag pipes. Certainly not with a set up like that.
  8. softtail

softtail New Member

Torque cones

Thanks, CD!
    That helps alot. I wasn't sure about the cones and if they would be detrimental or just not worthwhile. Sounds like more trouble than need.:cool:
    Ride Safe
    Softtail.