1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Torque Cones

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by DKIN21, May 13, 2006.

1. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

I'am Running V&h Big Raduis On My 04 Low Rider, They Really Look Great And Only Have One Problem With Them, They Do Not Have That Deep Sound That V&h Have, Maybe Because They Point More Toward The Ground?, In Any Case I Have Cut The Baffles Down To About 1 1/2" Long And Have Had No Problems. Still Has All Kinds Of Low End And More Top End Then I Care About. My Question Is What If I Take The Baffles Out And Install The Torque Cones, Will This Hurt Anything??
  2. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

It will hurt only your humility...
  3. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

The Problem Is Baffles, Hint The Word Baffle.
  4. Breeze

Breeze New Member

Torque cones provide a little back pressure to preserve low end and mid range torque but usually result in a (small) loss in top end power compared to open pipes. Since the exhaust and sound are exiting without benefit of a baffle, you might get somthing closer to what you are listening for. You should get something slightly less than straight (unbaffled) pipes but louder than baffled. Hard to say without actually trying it regarding the sound you want. Some people swear by torque cones and others simply swear at them. They work best on drag pipes (no muffler body) which is essentially what you have. You might look at http://www.bigcitythunder.com/ about thunder monsters. I'm not sure if they have a fit for your pipes but I'm hearing good stuff on them.
  5. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

I Run Drags For The Sound Not The Power, I Put The Cones In As A Back Preasure Thing To Get Some Power Back. The Alternatives Is Really How Loud You Want To Be And What Sacrifices You Want Verse Power. I Guy From Work Cut His Pipes And Baffles From A Shadow , Hiddious Sound, But He Got Some 2" Baffles From A Store Here Called The Genalral Store For 7 Bucks. Sounds Pretty Much The Same.
  6. Southernstud

Southernstud New Member

another question

I have D&D slip-ons on my '07 sportster. unfortunatly i know nothing about installing anything but want to pull the baffles and install some torque cones. where are they placed in the pipes?
  7. fxdxsteve

fxdxsteve Active Member

between the pipe and the head .never tried them. I had drag pipes on my 72 sporty but I kept getting ear infections, so I went back to mufflers .I get the same thing with my thunderheader on my dyna but it sure sounds good I open my garage door and start it and every alarm on my street goes off so I got an mp3 player can't hear the music but it cuts down on ear infections
  8. Southernstud

Southernstud New Member

diagram

anyone got a diagram on that?
  9. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

plenty

if you guys look at some past treads i believe you will find lots of info on this
    also you will find a very useful diagram done by ken.:D
  10. fxdxsteve

fxdxsteve Active Member

the cone part goes inside the header pipe and the flange on the cone is sandwiched between the headerpipe and the head
  11. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

p s

also you may want to look at v/h's wedsite they address this subject. they claim to have done research which indicates that these cone have no real effect on performance. personally i believe these cones nearly assend to the level of snake oil; waste of money. but that only my opinion after doing a bit of research:cool:
  12. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

I agree, I tried them and there was was no difference in performance. Go with a performace baffle like Big City Thunder. You get a performance gain and still have all the noise you want. I installed them in my V&H true duals.

When I first installed them I removed the V&H power chamber baffle and just put the BTC in. They were a to loud for me, like running straight headers, and I didn't like all the reverberation on throttle down. So I installed them with the power chamber baffles. Sound is deep and throaty and I got a nice pickup on the performance end.
  13. fxdxsteve

fxdxsteve Active Member

I have to agree also to get back pressure you have to have an area where the pressure can build up restricting the flow at the head might speed up exhaust flow by the venturi principle (bernoulli) that might help scavenging but I don't see it giving back pressure this is a link on how exhausts particularly the thunderheader works

Thunderheader a Rich Products Co Part
  14. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the easiest and cheapest way to get some back pressure is to install the ol' washer on a bolt.......near the outlet. it also makes it adjustable for your personal needs.......................
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Couple of things, the cones may or may not do anything depends on the pipes, baffles, cams, etc lots of stuff comes into play.

1) Taking out the baffles only pisses off the wrong people, yeah I ran V&H longshots without the baffles, sounded cool, loud, take your ears off sound..

2) Taking out the baffles kills your tq curve on the bottom, you will loose power, the reason they are called drag pipes is pretty obvious, again all it does is increase the loudness of the bike.

3) Denver recently passed an ordinance that you can't ride a bike in the city without EPA registered pipes, the check isnt just for sound but for the EPA stamp on the stock pipe. The reason was noise, and everyone kept getting around the noise issues as they were subjective, and the city didn't want to spend bucks (JMO) on noise meters. So simple just look for the stamped epa info, no stamp, get ticket. Making bikes louder or as loud as possible just ends up pissing off the people that write laws.

Many LEO will check for baffles with a nightstick, so at least get the bolt and washer trick going to keep them from going up the pipe and giving you a ticket.

In FL the law prohibits changing pipes on any bike to any kind that is not original or of original design and sound. The LEO don't enforce the law unless you're an azz ripping up the road rapping on the motor etc.

Just FYI the noise police are on the way, think about not having the option to change pipes at all..