1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Torque plates

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by NeilP, Dec 15, 2009.

1. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

If I cant borrow any I was thinking of making a set of torque plates up for my Sportster cylinder conversion project.

I have a 883-1200 kit, and although the pistons may be matched, it won't do any harm to check them.

I cant afford to spend money on the torque plates so was going to turn some down on the lathe.

I have the big bore kit 1200 cc barrels to get dimensions from, but any other things I need to think of.

Anyone ever made up there own? any advice?

Neil
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i havent made any torque plates, but have made "other" critical parts.......measure twice, cut once!!!!!

from what i can see, just be sure the lineup pins are placed correctly....then torque to specs.....dont remove too much metal at a time without checking tolerances...
  3. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

According to the V-Twin Manufactruing website and pdf catalogue the parts do not require any machining, but it would be good to check if I can
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I would venture that you're overdoing it by going that route because Vtwin isn't a half arse place. If you were building a racing engine then by all means, not that it's not a good idea, but probably overkill for a simple cyl swap..

But if you want go for it.. JMO

here is a link to some on sale on the net, you can see the different types, round, square
    etc.

Click Here
  5. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Initially I had not even considered it, and I have no idea about the company that made the kit, and after comments from another on another thread of mine about the Inlet/Outlet ports, I thought I probably ought to.

Not a job that I relished, in fact the thought was 'oh no, can I really be bothered'.
    I may ask around a few of the other Harley owners here in Jersey, and see if I can find someone that may have the plates, otherwise I probably will not bother.

I have so many other questions about this job and really need to make a start, but have promised myself I am not even going to lift a spanner, till I have cleared the workshop of a couple of other projects.

Thanks for the link

Neil
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

It's an afternoon or saturday job.

go ahead put the other stuff on hold...

LOL
  7. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Oh not again....I need to make the exhaust brackets anyway...and that requires getting to the workbench/welding table and changing the mig over to stainless again. Not too much to do really, put a headlining back into a Toyota Landcruiser, replace all the windows and rear door and radiator and cut down an old 600 gallon diesel tank to fit a frame on the back of a tractor....in fact not raining this morning...could go and do that now