1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Torque Wrench

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bdfin, Dec 31, 2007.

1. bdfin

bdfin New Member

Now that we are just about through the holidays ( Happy New Year ! ) it's time to get into some wrenching action.
    I need a new torque wrench. What size ( 3/8, 1/2 drive) and length of handle do you guys that work on your own bikes prefer ?
    Thanks.
  2. bdfin

bdfin New Member

Ah....oops, I guess the search did provide some chatter about this a while back so my bad......... don't want to start another # whats the best oil debate "with wrenches. I forgot about the inch.....and ft. lbs. part though.
  3. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I don't have a torque wrench yet.....I am quite sure that you will get answers.... here is my guess tho... get 2.....one for the low end torque and shorter handles/smaller drivers, and a second one that is higher end torque, longer handle, and larger drivers......just MY guess tho.....like I said, I have NO wrenches, so don't use MY word as final!!! :rolleyes: :D
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

nurse nailed it....i have 2....one in inch# 1/4 drive and one in ft lb 3/8 drive....:)
  5. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Ditto, I own 2, same as chuck. One point though, look for a wrench that has a wide range. Some times you need 12 ft lbs, and other times you need 100, so try and get one that will suit both needs. BTW, mine are both Matco and I did pay a pretty good amount for them.
  6. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

torque wrenchs

i have two also, a 1/4 inch in/lbs, 1/2 inch ft/lbs. both with micrometer ajustment that click when you reach the setting and a 1/2 inch drive flex bar /pointer type. goes upto 150 ft/lbs.
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if you find yourself needing a smaller ft lb reading and your wrench will not go that low.....use the inch lb .....multiply the number you need by 12. if you need 10 ft lbs...multiply by 12. equals 120 inch lbs....hope this helps..:)
  8. bdfin

bdfin New Member

Thanks guys, all good info. Sears is having a sale in a few days and have craftsman torque wrenches on sale. May not be able to get both increments fullfilled but maybe at least the ft. lbs. Guess I'll go check em out before hand and see how they measure.
  9. lowryder

lowryder New Member

Torque wrneches

Hi Guys,

I have 4. 1/4 in with a 3/8 drive in lb, 3/8in ft lbs, 1/2in in ft lbs
    and a dial for turning torque. Great for diffs etc. all very handy. If you dont torque it, dont run it!

brian
  10. jturuk

jturuk New Member

bdfin

I discussed torque wrenches with a HD mechanic that does a lot of work for the company that I work for and he has been in the trade a long time and he said to stay away from Westward torque wrenches. He said that by and large the torque setpoints were out significantly when these wrenches were calibrated. He highly recommended the Proto brand for accuracy and dependablility and I purchased a couple of these for my bike. I'm sure you won't go wrong with Craftsman wrenchs either.

John
  11. lowryder

lowryder New Member

Torque Wrenches

There are alot of good wrenches out there. Remeber no matter how good, they all must be re-calibrated every 5 years.

The click type use bars to set torque. The dial type similar.

ALWAYS when youdont use them, they have to be set to ZERO, 0 or they loose calibration musch faster.

ALl torque wrenches must be calibrated using the same machines per S.A.E. so what ever brand you decide on, the final torque will be within a few pwercent of any wrench.

I torque everything including my spark plugs. Will not let anyone install rims for me without a torque wrench.

If you don't torque it, dont start it!
  12. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Snap-On 3/8" - 1/2" - 3/4" Digital Torque Wrench. Works pretty well.

Regards,
    German
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

BTW just because you have a TQ wrench in your hand doesn't mean you're safe to crank to the click, you need to develop a feel for bolts going into holes especially these aluminum threaded holes on motors like the rocker box holes.

They can strip out easy, so even if you have the right tq factor you need to be sure you're careful when tightening if you can feel the bolt getting ready to give out on the threads.

Also you should have both inch and foot pound wrenches if you do this much at all because the added length of the foot tq makes it so easy to move the wrench too far to easily.

JMO
  14. bdfin

bdfin New Member

As usual lots of useful info from you guys. HRK, you are right about the feel of the screw/bolts in the hole. I work on alot of equipment that use phillips screws to say.. just hold cover panels on, and I find crossthreaded or twisted off screws all the f...ing time from guys that have had them off before me and bunged up the hole and it pisses me off. But especially with the aluminum. I just want to do some stuff on the ride, and make sure it's put back together right.
  15. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

I've found that if there is any possibility to cross thread a fastener, someone will find the way. 3 torque wrenches are the best route. A 1/4 or 3/8 drive in inch pounds, a 1/2 drive that goes to about 100 pounds and a big long 1/2 drive that goes to 250 pounds. If you plan to torque compensator nuts you need a wrench with some balls. All of the major manufacturers make great clicker wrenches, but stay away from the digital wrenches, they eat up batteries and have a tendency to shut themselves off if you even breath wrong close to the battery cap.
  16. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

tqs, what are you to work on will determine it
    I have ea: 1/4 inlb, 3/8 ft to 95, 3/8 dial for rolling tq in inlb, 1/2 to 250 in 5lb incs, and 1lb incs, longs and shorts, and 3/4 to 650, and a tq multiplier to 1600 lbft, I work on everything from lawn mowers to big asss rail equip. so I cover my bases, the factor you should look at is the work you will be doing and the flexability of the wrench, so i would figure if you get one and only one get a multifunction digital 3/8 drive and 3/8 to 1/4 adapter, and 3/8 to 1/2 adapter you will be good from about 5 inlbs to about 100 ft lbs, any thing needing tighter than that with accuracy your doing it for a living and you can justify another one. I think it was central tools that makes it