1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Torque wrenches

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jturuk, Jul 17, 2007.

1. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Hi all

Just bought a new bike recently and was leafing through the owners manual at some of the maintainence information and noticed there were some fastener torque setting in in/lbs. and some in ft/lbs. I imagine that with all the aluminum parts proper torque is fairly important. I do a lot of my own maintainence/repairs on my pickup and once the warranty runs out on the bike will probably start doing the same with it so I guess the question I have is what do you guys use for torque wrenches. As well if there are any Kawasaki owners reading this what is available for a repair manual for one of these bikes.

Thanks in advance for any information
    John
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have a set of inch and ft lb torque wrenches from harbor freight....i checked them with snappys.....right on the money.....
  3. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hi John and welcome. I use an inexpensive set of ft/lbs and in/lbs wrenches that I bought at a discount autoparts store. Unless you plan on wrenching for a living there's no need to drop a lot of cash on a set of snap-on wrenches. I've compared cheap wrenches against the expensive ones and they seemed spot on. Of course the more expensive ones will last a lifetime or be replaced for free, but I don't plan on breaking tools till I'm 90 either.

There are a lot of sources for aftermarket repair manuals including Motorbooks.com and search on Kawasaki or your model.
    The dealer should also have a factory service manual which will give every detailed torque setting and spec you would ever want to know... and a few you may not of known of.
  4. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Thanks for the reply Chucktx

I guess I am totally ignorant as to the range of torque settings one would encounter working on a bike. I have a 3/8" drive (0-80 ft/lb) wrench at present but obviously will need more. Could I trouble you for the torque ranges for the wrenches in your set. Might as well get the right tools right off the bat.

Thanks again
    John
  5. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Thanks Kenfuzed

You and Chucktx both replied that you have a "set" of wrenches that you use. I guess I have never heard of buying torque wrenches in sets. That term is pretty much meaningless to me. Thanks for the info on the repair manuals I will definately check the sites out!

John
  6. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

They don't actually come in sets, but it would be nice if they did. But you do need a separate one for ft/lbs and in/lbs.

Forgot to mention one more place that I've had good luck finding deals on shop manuals, theMotorBookStore.com
    Much bigger choice of repair manuals.
  7. Clem

Clem New Member

Very wise of you to check into this! Most people don't bother with torque tools and just rely on 'experience'. Those are the ones that created the market for HeliCoil and Kingsert. Aluminum is unforgiving with an over-torque situation especially with the heat expansion of an air cooled engine. Both an inch pound (to about 200) and a foot pound (to about 150) would be perfectly adequate for anything on a Harley. (You do know that 12 inch lbs equals 1 foot lb. - right? So you can use a good, precision (dial type) foot lb torque wrench for the higher inch lb torques - but most do not read very low) The inch pound one will cost you the most.

I must amend this! Like this: :fight:
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  8. chucktx

my inch lb ranges from 0 to 200 inch lbs......my ft lb ranges from 0 to 250 ft lbs....where i purchased, neither one was over 20 bucks each.....my inch lb is 1/4 drive, and i have a 1/4to3/8 adapter for it, and my ft lb is 1/2 drive and i have a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter for it. both wrenches are the "click" style. you set the handle for the torque and pull untill you hear the "click"..hope this helps a bit....
  9. ReeseSS

ReeseSS New Member

10. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Thanks alot for this guys!

John
  11. Clem

Clem New Member

:fight:
  12. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Get your manual and find the common range of torque values you will be needing for your bike.

Then choose your tools knowing that the top most and bottom most 10% are not calibrated for accuracy. In other words the working range of a torque wrench is the median 80%.....So a 0-100 ft/lb wrench has a working range of 10-90 ft/lbs.

If you buy the clicker type, make sure you unload the spring preset after you are done with the job and before putting the tool away. As the spring fatiques, the torque accuracy diminishes. Dial indicating and deflecting beam wrenches are the most accurate over time.

Calibrating these wrenches was my job in the Navy, and I know what I'm talking about.
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I got mine at Sears, it's been very good, one thing the sears wrench warranty doesn't apply to torque wrenches.

You can get snap on or mac but unless you do this for a living it really doesn't make sense to dump that kind of cash on the tool

I would also check the Inch pounds requirements, if you have nothing under 12 inch pounds you can convert it to foot pounds.

144 inch pounds is 12 foot pounds.
  14. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I have tq wrenches in 1/2 lb incraments 0-650 ft lbs and 0 300 in lbs and I have used the cheap ones and will never use them again. my own opinion, and they are also calibrated yearly clikers are nice and I have them but he most accurate ones and the most reliable ones are the dial type with a light I have snap on , mac , proto. don't shop at sears anymore. if you have a clicker you should have it calibrated every so often as they do get out of calibration from setting around dropping or not backing the tension off it when finished, I won't bet my life on a 30.00 dollar wrench nor would I bet yours. hense you get what you pay for..
  15. chucktx

cant agree with ya more....but, for the weekender, inexspensive should be close enough.....
  16. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Yup, I believe in torque wrenches, it keeps me from muscle F’n everything.
  17. 1TimM1

1TimM1 New Member

I have been using a craftsman digital torque wrench for some time now, one of the most usefull features is that it works on left and right hand threads. The trans shaft is a reverse thread that needs to be set anywhere from 60-90 ft lbs.
  18. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I've got a 3/8" drive 0-250in/lb and 1/2" drive 0-250ft/lb. I wouldn't go for bargain basement ones but don't need Mac or Snap-On either. A decent middle road click type should be accurate enuf for doing your own work,just remember to unload them when finished and reclaibrate every so often.