1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Tour Pak Material

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Hogdog, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Hogdog

Hogdog Active Member

What glue can I use to bond metal to the ice pack on my ultra classic? Any suggestion would really help.
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the "Ice Pack" But very familiar with epoxies (my former company makes them). If the metal is chrome or galvanized, it has to be ground off to bare metal and left rough. If the Ice Pack is fiberglass it has to be sanded to roughen it and then solvent wiped clean with either Toluene (Toluol) or Zylene (Zylol). Then get a paste epoxy product that says it's 100% epoxy solids. NOT, 100% solids epoxy or modified epoxy!!! If the ice pack is a plastic, forget it.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

a little more explanation of what you're trying to accomplish might help.

Are you trying to permanently attach an igloo cooler to the bike?
  4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

:vomit:
  5. Hogdog

Hogdog Active Member

HRK you are too cool!!!! The bike is an Ultra classic Electra Glide and on the top of the rear finder behind the rear seat is a compartment that has a hinged lid with two latches on the drivers side of the compartment (ie the ice pak). The latches are locking latches. I need to repair one of the latches. In order to do this i need to bond a metal strip behind the lip of the lid that is used to close the compartment. An important piece of info I don't have to do this repair is what is the material that is used to manufacture the lid that is used to close and latch the lid of the compartment. Good idea HRK chuck the compartment and replace it with an igloo cooler glued to the rear finder with a beer dispenser facing the front with in easy access to an active rider and passenger. Thanks HRK for the laugh, facing this disaster i needed it!!
  6. Hogdog

Hogdog Active Member

Thanks F128 for your reply and interest. You got from my description of the problem (too brief) what the problem is. What is the material used by HD to manufacture the Lid of the compartment on the rear fender of my HD Ultra Classic Electra Glide 2008 model. Hope to hell it is not plastic!!!
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Old tour packs were fiberglass. New are abs molded plastic