1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Touring Rear Brake Line 40971-00

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Just a heads up to anyone with a 2000-2008 bagger. It's not a matter of "if" the line wears through but "when"

Right side of the King was wet from behind the floorboard to tranny side cover...I thought it was leaking from the clutch cable until I came to a set of lights and rear brake pedal was gone:eek: Fortunately I was just coasting to the lights and wasn't needing to haul it down in a hurry.
    I searched the innernet for a replacement line because when I called the dealer here they wanted $248.00 for a stock brake line:eek:...I told him I just wanted a steel brake line with a section of rubber flex hose on it,not one made of Platinum or Titanium:rolleyes:....He said that's the price of a stock line...
    So in my search I found that it is fairly common for these lines to rub through over time,my bike it took 12 yrs and 48,000 miles which appears to be the approximate mileage and time it goes, some have gone a little longer,some less...but quite a few of them...

So any of you that have that line on your bike,you may want to get down and check it out for wear,if it's still good I'd suggest putting a rubber sheathing over it from the master cylinder to the brake switch...
  2. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

First thing I do with any new bike is put on braided steel brake lines and keep my eyes in them...Had my hard bags off this morning and did just that...Got a trip coming up and gave it a good look over...

Thanks for the post...
  3. olbill

olbill Active Member

One of my riding partners on our way to Sturgis 3 yrs ago developed a leak in the hard line going to the rear brake lost all of the rear brakes took it to Rapid City harley for repairs 8hrs. lated and 475.00$ later he got his rear brake back they had to make one up from their Russell brake components they checked the internet and dealer supplies not in the whole U.S. . the line rubbed thru on the frame just below the the brake light switch on the bottom side it was a bugger to find.
    OLBill