1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Towing a trailer with a softail

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by halln, Aug 19, 2006.

1. halln

halln New Member

As you all have prob. read in my previous post I am considering buying an '07 ultra,however I am very attached to my '04 Fatty,and really hate the idea of selling it,so heres my question.
    Does anyone make a hitch for a softail,and is it recommended ? Are there towing problems with a Fatboy ? Will there be power issues ? I can't say that I have ever seen a hitch on anything other than a touring model,so I really don't know about this. But at three dollars + a gallon ,and my pickup getting 12-14 mpg,and my 1986 Tioga motorhome getting 5 mpg (pulling an 18 ft trailer w/ 3 bikes to sturgis this year) I am really looking into my options . Thanks in advance -John
  2. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

you might be able to get a hitch right here ...see CD for details. I read of a hitch for a softail from Drag Specialties but couldn't see a picture. Hitch Doc makes hitches for your bike..their stuff looks good..the hitches for the full fendered bikes. You will have to make some adjustments to your riding style pulling a buggy. Some of the guys on bikes may figure you flipped your lid pulling a trailer but the guys driving the Kenworths and Peterbuilts will give you a wave as the pull out and pass you on the hills up to the mountain passes..those new rigs have lots of jam..lots more than my little Harley. You'll probably get to like Commander Cody and some more of that "All Night Country" getting into the gear jammin' tunes. I see Harley's got six speeds going on for '07. I'd like to see a 10 speed option for us freightliners just makes getting up the hills easier. Seriously though, they'll take a little getting used to, you have to ride a little smarter. 10 years ago if you asked me if I'd ever pull a trailer I'd have flat out said no! I got a smoking deal on a tent trailer about eight years ago and haven't looked back since. You can put a lot of stuff in a trailer. I don't know how your bike is set up but pulling a trailer will slow your bike a little by virtue of weight.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  3. halln

halln New Member

Thanks for the reply sleepy,I too am a driver (2005 Mack Vision)w/13 speed Fuller and no hill seems too tall for my 490 hp,thanks for your imput. I will look into the hitches you suggested.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member