1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Toy haulers yea or ney

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FlynDutchman, Sep 3, 2008.

1. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

I go camping alot & I have a pop up. Lately I see alot of people taking their bikes with em & I'd like to do that too. I also have a golf cart that we take with us to the campground....So I'm thinking about a toy hauler camper/trailer. I know its kinda like trailering your bike, but I'm usually takin the wife & kids, so leavin em at home & takin a tent isn't an option. So has anybody heard of any good models ?? I went camping a few months ago & met this guy who built his own...Kinda cool...cheaper than store bought but kinda time consuming too...I think I'd like to see whats out there first before I go firing up the circular saw & makin a mess of stuff.... Anybody ?? Buhler ? Buhler ?
  2. rickster

rickster New Member

I've been considering toy hauler campers myself [self contained]. Because of the wifes health issues we need options. Some smaller units setup well enough & light enough to be towed with a suv. After doing a lot of searching local & online for a decent used one, for the model & length I'm interested in the majority of are out west. I did find 1 in the Chicago area I might check out if still available later. [noticed you are from that area]. I have a few friends who have converted their own cargo trailer, but I think they end up a little heavy IMO.
  3. duke76

duke76 New Member

I built mine out of a 7by12 v nose enclosed H and H cargo trailer, I took the walls out and insulated then and wired it and installed an air conditioner in the roof, then I put cupboards up front for storage in the v nose, painted the inside put up a border and laid some carpet and hung diamond tread on the rear door, and installed a awning,it turned out very well, If you want I will try to get some pictures, heck I should have posted them in the project section when I did it. Todd
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sometimes trailering is the only option....specially if trying to get out of the snow to some warmer weather,haulin the family, ect.ect. it it makes life easier, go for it!!!!!:)
  5. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I agree with chuck and an option to look at as a toy hauler is a horse/livestock trailer a little heavier and cheaper
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Yep I've been checking out creaglist in the RV setion , for two reason one if we have to get out for a big storm & two as a toy hauler
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

lots are displayed at the big bike events, some have areas for the bikes to tie down in back, you'd want it to vent pretty good, bike smell of gas during dinner probably isn't a good thing.

I'd bet a ton are for sale on craigslist - with the cost of fuel...
  8. rickster

rickster New Member

duke76, your trailer sounds nice. Flyin dutchman the brand I am interested in is the Weekend Warrior. Arts rv in Glen Ellyn, IL. has an '05 [19'] for $11000, that I think will be bought before I have a chance to see it. I know this is somewhat in your area, but its probably not the size or style you are interested in. Just thought I would let you know. Rick
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I lucked out last year and we found a S&S used camper with slide out. The thing is like brand new condition. Got a 14 foot cargo trailer with ramp that we bought several years ago so it makes a nice setup for putting the bikes in and hauling off with the Dodge pickup. Only problem is we usually ride the bikes and pull the tent trailer, but it makes it nice when it rains. Were thinking of going to the Light House Run in Coos Bay, Oregon this fall. Sense its on the coast and in October the chances of rain are pretty good so the camper is looking pretty good.
  10. bikerputz

bikerputz New Member

I have owned a KZ Sportster 29P for a few years now. I haven't had any issue with it. I end up riding more because now I can take the bike when family camping. You lose a lot of camper with the toyhauler but I don't spend to much time in it anyway except to sleep. I had a truck camper so the toyhauler still has more room. I couldn't find a used one that my truck could pull safely so I traded in the truck camper for a new toyhauler.

Enjoy what ever you get.
  11. duke76

duke76 New Member

One of my buddies that converted a trailer to RV toy hauler is going to sell his trailer, it is a 2006 roadmaster , blue and stainless 8by 18 with 2 foot v nose, it is all insulated, wired has 13,500 btu coleman mach 3 air conditioner, painted, carpeted and, can haul 4 bikes with room in the front for storage, he has not advertised it yet and just told me this morning so I told him give me a few days and I might possibly know some people for looking, he wants 6500. Let me know if you are interested and would like to see some pics. Todd
  12. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

I've been to that place before...Used to live right down the street from there...He's got some smaller stuff too...bike towable...What Im thinkin about is more in the 22-25' range...I have 3 kids & a dog.....Squeezed 4 adults, 5 kids & 2 dogs into the pop-up about 2 weeks ago....didnt need the heater at all which was nice. If you want I can go get a look at that thing for ya...maybe even snap a photog or few....
  13. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

snap a couple & post em, I'd like to see....
  14. rickster

rickster New Member

FlynDutchman thanks for the offer, I almost went to see it last Sat. but decided I want 1 a little newer & with it being gen. ready &/or included.
    They had a local interested also. Hopefully during our non-riding season more might be available cheaper. Good luck on your search.
  15. duke76

duke76 New Member

pics of my homemade toy hauler

I took some pictures today, here they are, if you double click on them you can see them better, I put an old rug under the bike when I am hauling it and we sleep on an air mattress, It is heated air conditioned and insulated Todd
    Trailer-pups 001.jpg

Trailer-pups 005.jpg

Trailer-pups 002.jpg

Trailer-pups 003.jpg
  16. TM103

TM103 Active Member

Looks real nice Duke. :D I am thinking of doing the same thing to a 24' carhauler that I have.
  17. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

A friend of mine got one earlier this summer. It is a self contained fifth wheel, dont remember how long it is. has an enclosed toy area in the rear, which will open to the main trailer and has two fold down bunks for extra sleeping when the bike is out. Pretty cool. pretty expensive.
  18. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Looks nice Duke....The Guy I met has his broken into two sections one for living & one for the bikes....but kinda the same thing....He had what was basically home kitchen cabinets with a sink up front & peel & stick tile floor with a regular couch & chair in the living area. Im sure that messes up the weight issue but it still looked nice.
  19. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

We had a 5th wheel 32 foot toy hauler and we found when traveling it was dang hard to find a place to park when we stopped some place. Had a bit(h of a time putting it up my driveway to park it. We finally got tired of hauling it so we sold it.
    We have a 24 foot 5th wheel that we keep at a park at the coast and a camper and tow a 14 foot cargo trailer for the bikes, works great.
  20. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Yea I kinda have that problem during the season too...my drive is only about 30' long (at best) but during the winter I can put it in a warehouse