1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Toy Run Today

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Dec 3, 2011.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Did the Parade Marshal Job again for the annual Shriners Toy Run. Today was cold as heck but dry. Estimated 6500 riders on the ride to the hospital for the kids. Went in the store and found this black furry Teddie Bear and knew it would make some small scared child real happy. Here some pics one is an Ariel view from the big lift they take yea up in to get a pic. :)

First pic is before they showed up. Its interesting that the 1% groups had to be up front and in their pecking order.
    Interesting Trike but the owner was a real *****. The other guy is paralyzed in both legs and built this side car for his chair, with ramp. Figured out how to connect everything from the side car to start it, stop it, shift it and all breaks all from his sitting position in the side car, pretty cool.

Attached Files:

2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Thats some good pics & a good size crowd :cool:
  3. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

6500 riders, wow! You mentioned the 1%ers - looks like everyone came together for the kids. Thanks for the pics.
  4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Fantastic turnout brother! :cheers:
  5. FLHTbiker

Yea they get along for a few hours for the kids then back to normal. The ones that didn't show we're the Angels and the Mongols.

A Harley Sporster 883 was raffled off and 30,000 was raised in one day for the kids. They use the money for things like wheel chairs for kids who can't walk. You up to the hospital and see some of the kids and it will bring a tear in your eyes. Many of the kids can see us coming from some of the big windows and as we start comin up we can see them all lined up in those windows looking for us. Like I said will bring a tear to our eyes. It's Christmas and its for those kids.
  6. FLHTbiker

Regarding the Toy Run and our visit to the hospital -- this is an email that was received and goes to show this is what the Toy Run is all about and why we do it.

Dear Toy Run participants/organizers. We had the pleasure of experiencing the Abate Toy Run today at the Shriners. My daughter Samantha underwent spinal cord fusion surgery for severe scoliosis just yesterday. My thanks to all of you for the generous donation of your time, your energies and your gifts to not only my daughter but the other children presently here and those yet to come. Although Sam is nearly 16 she wanted to stay awake to see Santa and his elves. Thank you for her stocking, and your many good wishes. Thanks also to Danny and Rose (I hope I have remembered your names correctly) for making a special visit into see Samantha and offering her presents and lovely words of encouragement. She was very touched by all of you. Yours very truly, Loni and Scott. Merry Christmas!
  7. cowboy

I know you don't look for stuff like this , just being there is a good feeling , but the email helps remind ya as why you do :)
  8. FLHTbiker

No we don't look for the praise, we do it for the kids. If you ever go into a hospital like this, visit with the kids or just see them then you know why you do it.:)
  9. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Let's see if I can get this to work Local Toy Run.| FLORIDA TODAY | floridatoday.com:confused: Click on Toy Run article,some cool video of run. 5,500 Bikes, over 8,000 participants. Look for me,I'm right there LOL Click on SCENES,2011 TOY RUN
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

We had the annual Abate Brevard run, 5000 to 6000 bikes,
    skipped it this year, after so many kinda got tired of the long
    wait, clutching, goober headed newbies horn honking goldtard
    riders that think you need to honk a friggin horn for 5 miles arrrg!

Actually haven't done it in a few years, we just ride to he collection
    point and drop toys, safer that way...
  11. FLHTbiker

That's one of the big reasons why I do the Parade Marshaling. Yea, them Goldwingers got to honk at everyone. Surprised with the slower speeds honking and running their flashers that they don't run their batteries down.
  12. FLHTbiker

Official Count from the Toy Run in Portland was over 6500 motorcycles. That is a new record and pretty impressive numbers for Portland.

Here is a cool video click from a local TV station.

Video Landing Page - KPTV - FOX 12
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

14. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Even though you don't do it for the thanks, still cool to know you touched someone who needs it... Good for YOU!
  15. cowboy

We only get about 200 bikes I do it to help the kids & we try to stay back a bit no one blows horns but the newbi riders suck
  16. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Pueblo had toy run saturday, they said only about 25% of last year, the weather was bad with snow flurries and 20 degrees, I don't ride in the parade anymore, to crazy, I help park bikes at the end which in it's self is pretty crazy, one butt head and the rest turns to, well you get the picture.