1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Toy Run

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Dec 9, 2008.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Last Saturday was the annual Shriners Toy Run. The Toy Run benefits the kids at the Dornbecker Hospital. You go up to the hospital and it will bring tears to your eyes seeing those kids, some dying some fighting for their life from cancer and other horrible diseases. Bikers of all brands and bike clubs of all kinds all gather together for the annual trek up to the hospital.
    I rode as a Parade Marshall and was assigned a street to block and got to see all the bikes as they passed by. I read that there were 6,000 this year the biggest ever considering the cold temps.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

6000 bikes!!!! wow. it sounds like a cool deal especially for the kids!!!!! did any of the kids get a ride???? that would be cool....once around theparking lot....ya did good! thanks for the pics!:)
  3. mstngjoe

mstngjoe New Member

More TR pics.

The first 3 (taken by Y2K) are a left to right pan of the Tri-Met parking lot. There were just as many bikes out on the street.....couldn't fit them all in. :D

The last one is of a bus filled with toys for the kids.

Great day!

Attached Files:

4. mstngjoe

mstngjoe New Member

More....I took these on the streets outside the parking lot.

Attached Files:

5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yes indeed you did a good job doing the run for those kids & from the pic's from both of you it looks to close to the 6k mark on the bikes
  6. FLHTbiker

You got a lot better pics than I did. There are a ton of photos of the Toy Run on our chapter web site. The dealer parking lot in the morning and afternoon had several hundred bikes at a time. At the hospital the windows are lined with the little faces and all who can are waving both arms.

As for the kids, was to cold for them and most of them are to sick to go outside but many of us go into the hospital and get a chance to visit with some of them and boy are they thrilled.

Our chapter raises money for the MDA kids in Oregon and when we go to their camp you should see their faces light up and those smiles will get to you. We usually have a couple guys that bring up their side cars up and give the kids a ride. We let the kids pick a bike for 1st place. They actually have a score card to use and many of them need the assistance of an adult to get around. Pretty sad for them but every year they really look forward to camp when the bikers show up.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  7. mstngjoe

mstngjoe New Member

My buddy Rocky & I got started late. :(

We were in my driveway getting ready to roll out about 10:30 and a group of about 10 went by. We tried to catch them but failed.

Ran into the tail end of another bunch on Hwy 224. They were either from Latus or maybe some that had met up at the Wichita Pub.

It was a great day and I'm sure the kids had a real thrill.
  8. FLHTbiker

The only down side of the whole thing is the news media usually does not give it much coverage. We did get a bit of a write up in the Oregonian newspaper on section B1. To bad to because its a great way to show the public that bikers are not the bad cold hearted individuals that were made out to be many times.
  9. mstngjoe

mstngjoe New Member

I agree....media coverage left quite a lot to be desired. :banghead:
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

just goes to show ya where the media's heart is.....in the gutter, chasing slime balls and perv's..........................sheesh:mad:
  11. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

6000 bikes with a bus load of toys for sick kids = little to no coverage

2 jackasses in colors pound on each other a little = Biker Wars- Live Coverage from the scene, three days of write ups in the rags.

America is sick; she has a twisted disease that good news doesn’t sell papers while sensationalized bad news will empty the box by mid day. Go figure.

Guys that is awesome on the toy run and there is no better feeling in the world to me than making a child's day brighter. I know you all have to be feeling on top of the world helping that many children. Atleast we know what good is being done by Bikers, screw those that don't care.