1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

TP motors

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy140, Feb 4, 2009.

1. cowboy140

cowboy140 New Member

I have a '95 Fat Boy Soft tail and have worn out the 80 in. Evo that came in it. I'm looking to replace it with a big inch motor.
    Not looking to race but want some power there when I grab a handfull.
    I've been looking at the RevTech 110, S&S big bores, Ultima and recently the TP 114 inch.
    Just talked to TP Eng. and they sound like they know their stuff and especially liked the pro vent style rocker boxes and smart oil pump.
    Anyone have any feedback on the pros and cons of any of these motors?
    Thanks for any help.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

My son has a 96 year model S&S 88 EVO thats had the dog stuff run out of it & still runs real strong now he changs the oil when it due & runs amsoil 20-50 year round & we did a 800 mile rode trip (one day) & the S&S never missed a beat
  3. cowboy140

cowboy140 New Member

OK thanks for the help.
    I know S&S has been around forever. I was looking for something that had close to stock stroke and around 10:1 compression ratio or less and hoping to get the best bang for my buck.
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

If I was buying a EVO engine I would look at a Ultima.
    TP makes one of the best engines on the market.
  5. cowboy140

cowboy140 New Member

I checked out Ultima's specs and price and if they are as good as Ultima claims they are ... probably about the best dollar per horsepower I've seen yet. I've compared RevTech and Ultima and the RT 3 yr 30,000 warranty sounds really good compared to Ultima 12,000 or 1yr. buta black and chrome 4 in. bore X 41/2 stroke 113" Ultima (non EPA) can be had for $3599. and is rated at 120 hp and 120 lbs tq. complete with 45 Mikuni and single fire ignition (less coil) with comp. releases. I should have it in a few weeks and will give a report on it and the support.
    Thanks for the help guys.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

congrats on the purchase.....gonna need some pics also!!!! lol lol
  7. cowboy140

cowboy140 New Member

There is just one more question I have in my choice. The Ultima 107" is rated at 115 hp with a 4.25 (stock) stroke. The 113 has a 4.5" stroke. I should know this and I feel dumb for asking but is the longer stroke going to have more bottom end torque or run better at higher speeds? Will the longer stroke vibrate a little more? I know it won't get as many miles before things start wearing out but would the 107" 115 hp be a more dependable comfortable ride than the stroker? Pros and cons of stroking is what i'm asking cuz I can get either one for the same price.
    Thanks guys.
  8. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Compared to the win cam yer gonna have more vibration.
    I can ride a older Twin Cam and ride a new twin cam and tell that the older twin cam viberates more than the new 07 and up.
    But you've got a EVO.
    The longer stroke is more torque. The achieve what they are doing by the stroke are they not.
    The Boss's brother has a 113cu EVO that he built and he screams. Now how it ride in the twistie's I've never talked to him and never rode the bike.
    Looks like yer lookin for total HP, the numbers.
    Are you really gonna use the difference in HP when you git over 100hp.
    Ever rode a bike with over 100 hp, know how much fuel they use when you twist the throttle hard. If you probaly had 90 hp and 100 tq it would do all you wanted unless yer racing. I have a buddy that build a real strong evo that owns another bike shop, He has a real big cam in it.
    Its hard to ride till you git up to 80 cause the cam lopes so bad. But it makes all the HP you can stand and will rip the back tire. He don't ride it too much because its like a 127 EVO. Its Bad to the bone. Its up for sale now.

You should probaly take time and call these folks and talk to them on which engine they would perfer for what yer trying to achieve. What to expect from each engine and what the life would be on the engine.
    But there are no guarantees in life unless a mfg give you one.
    Then you got to realize how you ride the bike and the maintenance you put on it.
    Don't the EVO's last about 65,000 miles tipically.
    They would be a lot better prepared to answer the questions.
    Probaly ain't that much difference in price of the 2 motors. :banghead:
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Whatever motor you buy you need to stock up on cash and credit for the rest of the things you'll need, some right now, some just a little later.

See that bike you have was designed with a 55 HP twin in mind.

Now you're going to drop in 100 plus screaming HP and TQ and well frankly it's not made to have that power going through some of the stuff.

1) new clutch, Rivera Proclutch, (I don't care who tells you that a stock clutch will hold up it won't, unless you ride it like granny and never go over 2500 RPM) but if you ride it like that motors going to want to be ridden at least change over to SE plates and higher pressure plate. A vpc will help.

2) belt, be sure it's straight and installed properly,
    3) transmission, you'll get through fine for a while but that trap door is going to eventually fail or the bearings will fail, A jims trap door will solve the problem, and eventually you'll hammer that tranny into submission... Jireh has a great deal on 6 speeds designed to sit behind the 124 Ultima. Nice to have lower RPMS too.

4) Brakes, Those stock front single pistons just won't work, well they will work, but you'l be moving faster, quicker, so at minimum switch over to a set of twin cam dual piston take offs, or a set of PM differential bore, hawg halters etc. Same for the back,

When you get more go, don't forget the whoa!

make sure all the bolts and bits are installed properly

GET MORE LOCKTITe you'll need it on a softail anyway.

Tires..... This is the fun part but you'll go through tires quicker, and I don't care who you are, when you drop in a stroker, no way you ride that sucker without twisting the wick ever..

If you do, buy a HD remanuf Evo 80 lol
  10. dynahog103

dynahog103 New Member

The longer the stroke the higher the piston speeds, the lower your redline. As to 100+ hp fuel consumption, my 105hp dyna gets better milage than when it was stock.