1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Trailer

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by viking, Apr 17, 2011.

1. viking

viking New Member

I ride a streetglide and was thinking about buying a trailer to pull behind my bike.I have talked to a few guys and are getting mixed responses on if it is still an enjoyable ride.I would not be pulling it alot maybe a couple of times a summer.Any input?
    Viking
  2. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Trailers can be an asset if you buy the right one.
    If you do a lot of camping or plan to then the pop ups are the way to go - if you just want to haul a extra case of cold ones and a few beach esstenials then a cargo trailer is the way you would want to go.
    Hicthes and wiring can be a little on the salty side but don't stint yourself in this area, buy the best you can afford or wait and save up until you have enough to get them.
    Trailers with LED lighting may require some extra wiring and components but are worth the time and trouble.
    Lastly - do your homework - shop around and check all the manf. out before ya buy. - there are a lot of them on the net and you also might check for a used trailer which will save ya some bucks just make sure of what yer getting before you put the money down.
    Good luck and let us know how ya made out it may help someone else make the plunge.:D
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I've pulled trailers for years both pop-up tent trailer and cargo with no problems. The right hitch set up is important. I use the Mchitch set up with the receiver type.
    What ever type of trailer you pull you need to watch the weight distribution and tongue weight.

MCHITCH Trailer Hitches for Harley Davidson Motorcycles
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i built one using parts from harbor freight and sears. it was posted in the projects section in july of 07 or 08. that section doesnt go back that far. if you would like pics of the project i will repost for you...........very inexpensive and pulls great.
  5. viking

viking New Member

Thanks everyone.It is just for a few extras for the weekends.I think I will look for a tour pack instead.
    Viking
  6. FLHTbiker

A tour pack will carry a lot but you can also overload them to. But they do provide a nice back rest for the passenger. The quick release is the best way to go.
  7. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Hey I would like to see the pics of that trailer. Can I see???? :D
  8. FLHTbiker

Forget it JB, a sporster ain't big enough to pull a trailer, :rolleyes:
  9. JohnnyBiker

Actually I found a really good deal on a Street Glide!!!! Just might do it.
  10. FLHTbiker

:eek: Oh my god, I can't believe it. Street glide is just a stripped down Ultra but I believe they sit lower to the ground which should work better for you. So when you going to pick it up :D
  11. FLHTbiker

12. JohnnyBiker

If I were to buy a touring bike the SG is the only one that I would buy. When am I going to do it?? When I graduate from school. An SE one too.:D
  13. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Jb unless it's one heck of a deal you can buy a Flht stander cheaper & strip all the extas off & have the s glide just have to lower the rear 2 in & your there or just go for it
  14. FLHTbiker

Yep, enough said:)
  15. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

When my wife wanted us to get a bigger bike I was only looking for a SG too, but a Ultra was just a few dollars more and a better ride for the little lady and if she wants to ride more that is a good thing. No regrets getting the Ultra more room for weekend trips still handles like a dream. But I just turned forty so I must be maturing.;)
  16. FLHTbiker

It happens, :)
  17. JohnnyBiker

maybe part of the issue that I have with the touring bikes is that my wife says that I look way too small for them. I agree, but if I were to get one it is with her in mind as well. I guess she doesn't like comfort??? :banghead:
  18. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Who doesn't like comfort??? It's one of the big reasons we don't have sport bikes.

Mine is plenty comfortable (although I'm not thrilled with the lowered shocks), and makes a 6,000 mile trip a piece of cake.

I have a few essential options though: cruise control, taller windshield, h.i.d. headlight, gps, radar detector, stereo speakers in helmet, touring seat, removable TourPak, radial tires, etc.

All this stuff may sound like a load of doo doo, but man it's nice out on the open road. You don't have to stop every hour for gas or to feel your arms again. I go from 300-350 miles between fill-ups (55mpg X 6 gals).

FLHTbiker, I had never considered a trailer before you posted that link for Leisure-lite camping trailers. I bet I could have paid for one from all the motel bills in just 4 weeks!
  19. JohnnyBiker

I am not kidding on this at all. Last year I went to the High performance demo that my dealership had for club members only, Hot Rider was with. I rode a Stage three Street Glide and she looked at it like it was the devil. You would have to ask her for a further explanation because I really don't have a clue as to why she doesn't much care for them? :banghead:
  20. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

The bike or the high performance?