1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Tranny Woes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cuedude, Aug 23, 2006.

1. cuedude

cuedude New Member

I am in a pickel. I bought a 2004 VRSCB through the Harley Tech Talk board, (MSN), from a gentleman in Montana. During shipping, the bike got held up in Miami for about an extra week and a half. When it arrived here, I checked it over for damage, and it was fine. However, I waited for a few days until I started it, and the tranny is making noise. Sounds like it's grinding things up inside. I've driven it, and it works fine, just very noisy. Well, to say I don't trust it, is an understatement. Due to having just spent my cash on the bike, I am relegated to doing the repairs myself. My question (s) to the board are:
    Does anyone have any experience with VROD trannies? IF so, what can I expect when I pull this thing, and open it up? I have no manual, as none are readily available here. (I'll have to get one onlline) 2. What, in your oppinion should I look for? Crushed spacer? Crushed/bad crush washer? bad bearing? As I said, the tranny seems fine. It does not pop out of gear, doesn't skip, and doesn't give me that really bad grind when trannies blow. (What an unmistakeable sound).

Along with this post, I wanted to add that as a Locksmith, I know that there are limited numbers of different Keys/Ignitions for Harleys. Especially the ones with the round keys. This is not harley's fault. It is the Lock manufacturers not offering up more choices in key codes. They assign like 4 or 7, or sometimes more to a client and as a bike is built, the MoCo can simply grab one out of the bin, install it, and off it goes. My point being that it is a good chance your key will fit more than one bike, and you won't have to look too hard to find it.

All that being said, and getting back to the fact my bike was "sitting" in Miami for over a week, Im thinking someone has a key, they tried it, and it worked. So, they took the bike for a "test".

Any help will be appreciated, and is much needed. Thanks.

cuedude
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the o4 manuals should be redily available.......or the dealer can get you one, also a parts manual would be very helpful to you. i assume the trans was full of oil.....as for being ridden, did you get the mileage from the person selling before shipment??? as for tearing it down, i have no experience with vrods....but im sure someone will chime in here .....
    chuck
  3. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Keys and security

The key issue doesn't surprise me. Back in the 70's I had a buddy that worked for Coca Cola. He had a route and stocked thier vending machines. Guess what? Since he had a full set of keys for the coke machines, we discovered that he also had a key for every Sportster and Superglide lock H-D put out. Fortunately, he was an honest guy, but that taught me that the key is only for shutting it off and making sure your kids don't crank it by "accident"....

Ride Free...........
  4. Tumshie

Tumshie New Member

not to scare you :eek: , but a Vrod tranny as far as i know is not like the other BT's or older sportys. It is like the newer sportys where you have to split the case to access it. I am sure some linkage and such is accessible, but the tranny itself is not.
  5. cuedude

cuedude New Member

Thanks all for the replies. I have a plan that won't cost me much $$$, and won't jeopordize the bike. And selling it is not an option. PM if you want, and I'll gove you the details. (Insert sinister laugh here).

cuedude
  6. cuedude

cuedude New Member

New Info

I spoke with a former Harley Racer this morning, and was told the trouble I'm having is not the tranny at all, but probably the clutch. This is good news. The bad news remains, fixing it. I am trying to locate manuals online, and so far have had no luck. But Im still trying. Just wanted to keep the board posted on how this may turn out.

cuedude
  7. chucktx

thanks for giving us an update.........
    chuck
  8. cuedude

cuedude New Member

Manuals On The Way

I just ordered the required Service manuals, and parts catalogues from the MoCo. Next on the list is making sure I have the required tools, then the parts, then fix the thing. Man, alot of good riding weather is going down the tubes, and I really want to be out there.

cuedude
  9. cuedude

cuedude New Member

Manuals Are Here!!

I got the Service manual, and Parts catalogue this afternoon. After glancing through it, I'm getting excited to get started on this project. Sitting here thinking about it, while checking the clutch out, if I see anything abnormal, I'm just going to replace the clutch. I may not have alot of experience wrenching on bikes, but I'm not scared to do it when needed. Hoping for success. :eek:
  10. chucktx

with the attitude you have, you cant miss!!!! have fun and keep us posted...it wont be long and you will see someone place a post with the words "tranny woes...can ya help?"......then jump right in!!!!:D
    chuck
  11. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

DAME BUYING ONLINE, AND AFTER ALL THAT, HE DIDNT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE NOISE BEFORE SALE:mad: CAN'T SEE IT WONT BUY IT AT LEAST SOMETHING LIKE THAT. I HOPE AND PRAY MY CATALOG ORDERS ARE RIGHT. GOOD LUCK 2 YA, SORRY ABOUT UR MISHAP.