1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

trans

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Cracker, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Cracker

Cracker New Member

On my 99 RK every once in a while I seem to miss 5th gear? I change the trany oil every spring. I think this started happening about 2~3 seasons ago? Just wondering if anyone could share some info...
  2. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

When you say that you "miss" 5th gear, is it slipping, jerking, clanging, or just by passing the gear totaly? Let me know. Ride Safe, David.
  3. Cracker

Cracker New Member

When I say it misses 5th gear, I mean that it is just like I have found neutral between 4th & 5th gears. Pulling the clutch back in and giving the shifter another slap toward 5th resolves the problem. Not good when you’re already at 6000 rpm before shifting...
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Clutch cables stretch over time, get the SM and go to the clutch adjustment section, follow the instructions, it's simple to do, walks you through step by step and re adjust the clutch and cables.
  5. CD

CD Guest

Running fast so will make this short and to the point.

Possible causes:

Worn or improperly adjusted linkage and or Heim joints.

Worn bushing in the primary where the foot shift linkage goes through.

Shift Pawl adjuster screw not adjusted properly. This is the adjuster screw right next to the shift arm on the tranny. It must be set so the pressure during travel is egual on both sides and the lever centers. This is a critical adjustment and has a huge effect on shifting.

Bent shift forks. Since you mentioned banging gears at 6k, you may have bent the shift forks. This is real common on the FL models with heel / toe shifter because there is a tendency to stomp down on the upshift and this puts a huge strain on the shift forks. If you use the heel to upshift do not use it when speed shifting!!!! That heel can exert a lot more force than your toe does.:eek:

Other possibilities, lazy foot, not getting full clutch release, worn shifter drum and some others.

Time for a service manual and some checking.
  6. Cracker

Cracker New Member

Thanks for the info, again!