1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Transmission Issue?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Sep 2, 2013.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Ok, I have been dealing with this since my trip out to South Dakota. When I was going down a steep hill, I went to upshift and there was something that ground really bad. Ever since then, it is fairly difficult to shift, both up shift and down shift, but is more of an issue down shifting. Do you think that I bent something or is it that the clutch just needs adjustment? Thanks.
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Shifter paw for the trany drum . Might have the small spring broken fairly common issuie on a five speed trany .the spring is hardend and it breaks after many years of use the spring can't be purchased separately. So just replace it with the baker shifter paw. If it actually is the issue. Not a novice job Johnny. Trany has to come apart to replace the unit use your extended warranty. Plan
  3. JohnnyBiker

Bad news is that I do not have the ESP anymore. How long of a job is it that I am looking at and how do I better diagnose that? Readjust cluth and see if issue goes away?
  4. baggerpaul

Labor wise it can be done in a few hours .if the guy is familiar with tranys .its done in frame no need to r-r the case . You just had the clutch adjusted? I adjust my clutch every 10.000 miles why are you adjusting yours so often is it slipping maybe its time for a clutch?
  5. JohnnyBiker

I am just suggesting to readjust to eliminate that as the issue. Clutch isn't slipping that I can feel anyways. Is this what you talking about in your first response?

http://bakerdrivetrain.com/anti-overshift-ratchet-pawl-2
  6. baggerpaul

Yep thats the one. The factory one sucks . If your fortunate the spring breaks and falls to the bottom of the case if your like me it breaks and gets chewed up in the gear set. And cost ya 1400.00 bucks in part's
  7. JohnnyBiker

That was going to be my next question. Baker says that I could cause some real damage. Should I stop riding it for now and get it checked out now??? I do want to readjust just to see first. Baker is also saying that I have to replace the drum? Thoughts???
  8. JohnnyBiker

9. baggerpaul

Yep I did that also .I replaced alot of parts in my unit . I did not want to go to the late model pos 6 speed .and I did not want to spend the extra money on the baker unit .and then have to re gear my primary also .when upgrading to the six speed. To compensate for the gear changes.
  10. JohnnyBiker

Should I keep the bike parked then till I get a look inside?
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I would, by now since it happened in SD any damage is done
    the problem is metal bits getting into the bearings, the gears can chew up the
    spring no problem but then you get metal bits in the areas the oil gets into.

Drain the oil and check the plug magnet see if it's got more metal than
    usual, and check the oil contents, you can pull the starter and the top off the
    tranny and ispect the internals to some point, you may be able to see the broken
    spring.

If it's at the point you have to replace the tranny get an HD 6 speed gear set
    it will come with all the bits you need to put a 6 speed into the 5 speed gear box

It's a ton of work, exhaust has to come off, the whole primary, outer and inner
    with primary bits, you'll need to pull the gear drum off the top, then the forks
    then the right side cover and trans trap door and pull out the gear set.

The big tool you'll need is the one to get the nut off the main shaft before you can
    pull the gear set, it's a special socket and it's expensive jims makes one and then
    you need a big set of snap ring pliers to get the main bearing snap ring out, you have to
    have a mega bearing puller to get that big sucker out...

In short it's several tools and quite a bit of work...
  12. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Or, know of a good Indy
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yep the tools will add quite a bit to the bill,
    I've done a few, borrowed the tool for the mainshaft nut

You can pull the gear set without removing the nut
    however the main gear has to come out to replace the bearing
    you'd need some way to lock the main gear without
    screwing it up if you keep the 5 speed and your gears are good
    in order to pull the main bearing I've done it, and it's possible.

still it's a good time to upgrade to a 6 speed, your bike will love
    it on the long trip you are planning...
  14. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yea if my 5 speed on the Springer goes, I'll replace it with a HD 6 speed gear box.
  15. JohnnyBiker

I changed trany fluid this past Friday. I was real attentive to the plug and there was no metal on the plug. Maybe I got lucky as far as that goes.:pigeon:o_O
  16. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

No metal shards anywhere is a good sign. Flush out the transmission with kerosene to see if any metal comes out the drain. Learned that trick on the shovelhead forum when my throwout bearing shattered . . .
  17. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

If the shifter pawl spring broke,wouldn't the shift lever not return to the middle position when you shift??
  18. JohnnyBiker

Yes, this what I am being told so I do think that I got lucky in that regard.
  19. JohnnyBiker

Ok, I just got off the phone with Baker Drivetrain and spoke with Scott. While giving him the symptoms of what is happening and other drivability variables, he thinks that it is just my clutch that is out of adjustment and nothing wrong with my transmission.:woot:
  20. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

So was the clutch adjustment the answer.:nailbiting: