1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Transmission Issues

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by HicCup, Feb 10, 2012.

1. HicCup

HicCup Banned A-Hole

Jus shell my tranny. Were cen I git parts fer it?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

new parts????.......dealership...........used ???.....phone book........aftermarket?????......jpcycle,kuriakin, ect..............
  3. HicCup

HicCup Banned A-Hole

Cen I jus git an output shaft?
  4. chucktx

5. HicCup

HicCup Banned A-Hole

Baker any good?
  6. chucktx

7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

ya gonna need bearings, c-clips,
    you'll need to replace the mainshaft bearing
    probably the main gear, when stuff goes it goes everywhere.

Ya need gaskets too, primary cover, trans cover, trans top,
  8. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor..change ALL the bearings,they're not big$$. Make sure it's CLEAN before it goes together and above all else make sure those 2 big C-clips on the right side are put in right side out. Oh yeah check gear engagement dogs are not rounded off. Nut shell--check everything,do it only once..Been there.:eek:
  9. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

baker updated parts as much as you can . just did my trany bearings and shifter set up again last week . out put shaft bearing to a crap . that sucked . i got as much baker stuff as i could even updated the primary support bearing with the baker as well . cometic has all the trany gaskets and primary reseal you will need . good luck . mine is so smooth now i dont even feel it go in to first gear i thought the shifter had come un hooked that how smooth the trany is . i had to let the clutch out to know if it was in gear lol
  10. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

What is making all these tranny's go out.
  11. baggerpaul

mine was an 02 and chances are the last guy did not service the unit . what sucks cb is i was just in the primary to reseal the shifter seal . my trany never maid a peep for it took a **** . and when i did get the bike i did notice the belt was very tight so i readjuted it chances are that was the reason that bearing let go . who knows how long that guy was running around before i got the bike with the belt that tight . tires last quite some time . the last dude just over tighten the belt . thats a mighty big bearing to just let go !:banghead:
  12. cardboard

I heard word that on the new bikes the automatic tensioner automatically keeps puttin tension on the primary chain. All this tension supposely puts pressure on the output shaft of the tranny puttin more pressure on the tranny bearings.
    Don't know how true it is. But I heard it.
    And I've also heard some of the tranny's are not setup right. They have too much play in them somehow.
  13. baggerpaul

ya i heard that also . any how gotta tell ya that now with the new parts in this unit it is soooo smooth
  14. cardboard

At 40K, my main had gone and the debris took out the rest. Had about .013" runout on the sproket. Auto chain tensioner isn't very smart - all it knows to do is tighten every chance it gets. If you have some runout, the tension will vary, the adjuster will tighten as it rolls into a loose spot, then will be too tight for the other part of the rotation. Will wear the bearing, causing the chain to loosen up a little, the adjuster will tighten up again, and repeat until trashed. No (or very little) runout, and the adjuster probably won't cause a problem. If this is the cause, that would explain why different fluids haven't changed it, and why it's not affecting everyone. Baker has come out with a manual chain tension adjustor for these primaries. Mine is currently being rebuilt (with a few motor upgrades).
    Here us one response.
  15. baggerpaul

congrats on the motor upgrade . sorry to hear you got a problem also but atleast it will be fix and rolling again . woods cams ? i take it - maybe a little head work ?:devil::cool:
  16. charlie46

It was at about 48k that my clutch pushrod bearing went. Debree took out a couple of bearings.
  17. cardboard

Ya talkin about yer throw out bearings ??
  18. charlie46

Yup, Book calls it "Pushrod bearing" Very small roller type,between 2 washers on the end of the pushrod that dis-engages the clutch. Seems small to me for it's job to do. A week link, if you ask me. JMO
  19. cardboard

Ya didn't have nobody to tigthen em down and not back em off and not leave no slack in em did ya ?
    I forgot but if I remember they make a sound or something. They ain't hard to replace.
    A lot of stuff is startin to slip about right now.[​IMG]
  20. charlie46

The clutch was adjusted properlly(tighten center screw till it touches down then back half turn) but they failed anyway. Yes they do make a whirring sound when they fail. But you need to tear down tranny to get out the pieces.