1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Transmission Pulley

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by tim, Jul 12, 2008.

1. tim

tim New Member

Hi Everybody have not posted in a while been busy.Now that i have this 883 to 1250 conversion and been enjoying it i decided that i would like to put the 1200 29 tooth trans pulley on. I have one question the 1200 sportsters in 2006 used a 1 tooth longer belt with the 29 tooth pulley.looking at the swing arm rear axle adjuster it appears that i have enough adjustment that i do not have to swap the belt. Does anybody know if this is so or am i going to have to go to the longer belt?
    Tim
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

tim you can try to measure & loosen up your stock belt to see if it's long enough , I looked at a 04 883 & it look's to have enough slack to go one tooth bigger , I did'not measure
  3. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

I do not know why the '06 models use a slightly longer belt for the 29-tooth pulley & '03-back to '91 Sportsters don't. There were a lot of changes in '04-up models, but I see no reason why you'd have to change the belt just to go to a 29 front sprocket. Both my bikes started out as 883 Standards, came with a 27 front & I can put a 29 or even a 30 on without changing the belt. Remember the change will throw your speedometer off, but you can get the sensor to make it work right with a 29.

Now if I'm not mistaken, '04-up 883's come with a 28 front, so the change to a 29 doesn't make much sense - even going from a 27 to a 29 the rpm difference @ 65 mph is only about 375. The SpeedCalc website is not working now or I could be more specific, but the 29 doesn't drop highway rpms much & it cuts into accelleration more. If you're on the interstate all the time you may want to go up & even to a 30, but around town you'll find yourself slipping the clutch more & you'll notice a loss of acceleration from lower speeds.
  4. tim

tim New Member

Thanks for the info Art, I do a mixed bag of highway and city and the acceleration right now is great. Just thought i could cut off a couple of rpms at highway speed. Here is something else the transmission ratios are different for the 883 vs the 1200 in 06 according to the book. i am at work right now so i do not have them handy, but if your interested i can post them later when i am at home.If you have the web address for the speedcalc web site i would be interested in it.
    Thanks Tim
  5. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Yes, the trans ratios are different 883/1200 as of 2004 (except 5th) - prior to '04 they were the same. The SpeedCalc website is: SpeedCalc

I almost never ride the interstate, but I did run a stretch earlier today & with the 883 gearing on my '95, no problem @ 75 mph. The bike will run 100 mph in 4th gear, fastest I've been is 117 mph & it will go faster, but I'm an "old fart" & don't ride for the speed records. The 883>995 bike pictured below ran 146.976 mph with a 30-tooth front sprocket, but I rather doubt you'll be doing that on the public highways ;) The photo is of my friend Dale while changing carb jets on the "Hugger" Sportster - don't look that fast, does it ? Surprise !!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  6. tim

tim New Member

Thanks Art, I am one of those old farts at 52 not looking to set any speed records on the street or track either!:D
  7. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

At 55, I still like to "whup up" on the big twins every now & then - you do too - admit it :roflmao: For the track I just like to think this old brain still works. 180.025 mph with a "naked" Sportster says it might - not me riding, I'm just the engineer. And I can sure tell you that much of what works @ the track does not work on the street/road - especially giving up low-end torque for top-end HP. I'll glady give away top-end HP for a wider & smoother powerband on street/road bikes.
  8. tim

tim New Member

Your right, every once in a while it is nice to twist the throttle and light'er up. I will say one thing first Sportster for me and first big v twin there is nothing like it!:D