1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Trike Conversion

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bushwackerhd, Mar 26, 2010.

1. bushwackerhd

bushwackerhd New Member

Does anyone know anything about trike conversions, a friend of mine would like to convert his 06 ULTRA. Is it something that could be purchased and installed. Looking on the web did not produce much. If so web sights would be appreciated.( I'm better with wrenches and a welder then I am with keyboards).

Thanks Tom
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

3. RaKs toy shop

RaKs toy shop Active Member

Don't know where you are located but a little shop in Portales New Mexico has been building trike conversions for several years. Maybe they can help. I haven't been in their shop but I've seen trikes they have built at several shows and they are very nice. They buy use bikes to build their trikes. I know two guys that took their bikes to them and had trikes built. You will see on their web site that their trikes are covered with fiberglass Fenders, trunks Etc. Their trikes are built for touring. My insurance agent had them build one out of his Goldwing, he said he loves it, he told me of his last trip that was about 2000 miles and said he just doesn’t get tired on long rides. he also said that it handled extremely well once you learn you don't lean in the curves. Most of the ones I’ve seen were built from Harleys. They are also a dealer for something called a Stallion that’s made with a Ford four cyl. It’s a goofy looking bastard complete with power steering and A/C.

Pickups and More - Home

http://www.motortrike.com/
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I converted my wifes Valkyrie to a Trike and helped do several Trike conversions, Honda and Harley. The best Trike conversion in my opinion is the Champion Trike kit. The wife is riding a 04 Ultra trike conversion that is a Champion Trike kit. If your good at turning wrenches you can do it yourself. Its very helpful to have a lift like a Handy or the Harbor freight lift that has the side wings on it for the trike wheels. It is a lot of work but can be done. If you do one think real hard about installing the reverse gear from Champion also. The one we have on the wifes trike is a life savor.

Welcome to Champion Motorcycle Trike kits, Trike conversions, Hard Bags, Sidecars, Trailers, EZ-Steer, Reverse Gear

Attached Files:

5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Very nice Trike FLHT...a reverse gear would be a necessity with a trike IMO ...they would be a real bear to try to back up without it.
  6. FLHTbiker

When the wife only had her Honda Trike (which is up for sale) I had to school her on parking correctly, never never park with the nose going down hill. Had to get off the bike and push her out several times. :cussing:
  7. bushwackerhd

bushwackerhd New Member

Thanks FLHT, I'll look into it, looks like a nice setup. I'll pass the web sight to my buddy and see what he thinks.
  8. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

You can expect to spend about 4K on the kit and another 1K+ on the reverse gear package. But the up side is when you sell you gain $.
    Most factory trikes are going for 30k+ and even a used trike is in the 15K+ range.
    Looks like a win win situation.:D
  9. FLHTbiker

Sarge the kits run about 6-10,000 for just the kit.
  10. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Got my pricing off of fleabay - may have been used but even so it would be a win-win situation.
    Baker Trans web site for the reverse gear - they just brought out a new add for the 5 speed trans also.
    Couple more years and I'll probably be checking it out for my bike when I get to old to ride on two wheels.:)
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

She was just trying to keep you in shape :p:p