1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Truckee to Albuquerque Would appreciate ideas

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by Hot01, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

On the 20th I'm leaving New Hampshire for Truckee, CA. I have a ride planned for the way out that includes the Badlands and Beartooth Highway. When I leave Truckee I'm headed for ABQ. It looks like there are a few scenic ways to do it. Any recommendations? Also, I'll be camping, so any suggestions for campgrounds would be appreciated as well. I'm estimating two days, but if there are some really good roads that will stretch it out another day or two, I'll be happy to do that.

Thanks!

Abby
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

For my 2cts I would take the ride around Tahoe, drop into Reno, go to Virginia City (VERY rider friendly town - take 395 south from Reno) and take 6 Mile Canyon out of there to HWY 50. Take 50 all the way (from Dayton NV through Fallon, Middlegate (an old Pony Express stop with great chow and great folks), Austin, Eureka, Ely NV to Salina, UT) then take I70 to near Grand Junction, CO, then work your way down. Don't leave Fallon or Austin or Ely or Salina without a full tank of gas. Beautiful country and not near as hot as dropping to Vegas and taking I40. Also, though lonely, rural NV has the most helpful travelers around - just in case things aren't perfect.

Wish I was riding that right now!
  3. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

That sounds great. I was wondering if going south too soon would make for a very warm ride. I was thinking about stopping in Reno for an oil change and new tires. Do you have any experience with the dealership there? Or can you recommend a local shop?
  4. Red Rider

All Harley dealers are costly, but I have found that the Reno one is competent enough, and when they aren't they fix their mistakes free & quick. They also don't pinch every penny the way some other dealers do - on minor stuff they fixed it free (i.e.: 3 months ago I was missing 1 of 3 sissybar backrest bolts. Went in with the backrest to I.D. the chrome bolt replacement and Ian in Parts just looked at me, grabbed the right bolt, ripped open a new pack of Locktight and fixed it on the counter - no charge). Good people, but call their service guys first as they can get get too busy. Here's a link to them for all the infor you need:

Nevada Motorcycle Dealer - Reno Harley-Davidson / Buell

Note they are closed Sundays.

Another Reno shop I recommend is linked below:

Chaz O'Neill's Performance Engineering - Home

Call Chaz first, too, if you choose that shop. His shop is really about performance and custom work, but his rates are as good as H-D and his expertise is unmatched. Not that ya need to be a genius to change oil or a tire. Only negative with Chaz's place is it is a little off the beaten path and isn't as good a place to wait as Reno H-D while getting work done - though he does have popcorn and something to drink like H-D does. The plus with Chaz is if you are thinking of any performance upgrades, he can tell you everything there is to know about 'em. And he is far more likely than Reno H-D to catch any potential problems with your bike that may interrupt your trip. Not the assembly line operation that H-D does.

If all you needed was an oil change I'd say bring it by my place off HWY50 near Fallon, but we riders out here usually have to go to Reno to get the right tires. Might as well knock it all out at once in Reno. Good luck and fill us in on how you made out in "Trips & Trails" when you do.
  5. SK

SK New Member

RedRider's got it right..take US50 across Nevada as it's such a cool road to ride (done it more than a dozen times and love stopping in Middlegaten and staying in Ely). After getting to Grand Junction (go to Moab, UT if you can and take the Colorado River road at the north end of town along the river back to I70..you won't be dissapointed!). Take the Million Dollar Highway (hwy 550) in Colorado from Montrose through Ouray (Red Mountain Pass is awesome!), Silverton and Durango. Personally..4 Corners isn't worth going out of your way for, so you can just head into New Mexico and maybe go over to Red River, Taos and Sante Fe on the way down to Alburquerque.
  6. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I was about to write in and say go down the 395 to Mono Lake and Yosemite (One of our countries best National Parks), but then as you guys pointed out you end up having to go thru the desert after that to get anywhere.

I like the idea of going 50 east. I would add, take 50 all the way to the 25. then take 25 to ABQ. That 50 is a great road in CO and if you are into fly fishing you will never get back to ABQ.

Great info on this thread. I learned somtin:)
  7. Red Rider

I25 is worth thinking about, as you'd get to cross the Rockies on Hwy50 (I think that is a +12,000ft elev on that pass, get to see a lot of good little CO towns on Hwy50 that ya'd miss if you go south sooner. I don't know which I'd do - probably coin flip it.

Though that ride on I70 is spectacular...:confused:
  8. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Now I'm going to have to rethink my plan. I was going to do the first part and then start dropping south in Utah then go to the Grand Canyon. Is it worth it? I'm a big fan of mountain passes. Sounds like the Colorado route might be more enjoyable for me.
  9. colin

colin New Member

Here's more food for thought or maybe more two-lanes to consider. Rather than doing 50 all the way across you can jump down to HWy 24 South of Salina in Utah (avoiding the interstate) and then get on Hwy 95 at Hanksville, then on to 191 which puts you in Gallup NM. Very scenic and not a lot of traffic. Or you can Switch to 666 at Montecello and go through Cortez. You really can't go wrong staying on 50 then jumping down to Durango either. I don't think you'll be disappinted no matter what route you finally take.

Make sure you've got plenty of water and remember to drink it at every stop. Some really good advice is to keep drinking water so that you are going to the bathroom a lot-every fuel up- so that you don't get dehydrated. It's counterintuitive but wearing clothes that cover all of your body helps keep the water in. The cooling effects of dowsing yourself with water at stops is one of the enjoyments of desert riding even if it does evaporate after 20 minutes!
  10. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

we,ll I think most routes have been covered. how about taking a compass leave truckee on a 2 lane and get there on 2 lanes with only a compass, no maps no gps, nothing but roads wind and a compass. follow the signs.
  11. Tomflhrci98

And remember what Peter Fonda said at the end of the movie Wild Hogs....
    "get rid of the watches" :D
  12. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
  13. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

:roflmao: When I'm retired and have a few months to take the trip, that's what I'll do.

Most people can't figure out how I can possibly do this on a Softail Standard, like I have to go buy a touring model. I guess nobody knows how to use bungee cords anymore.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I take off two weeks from today. :chopper:
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Hot01, you can do it easy on your bike ,& bungie cord's work wonder's holding stuff on a bike , I have tryed to show my kid's how to roll there jackets & use a B cord to hold it to there handel bars & they just look at me :confused: , I used to ride my shovel from state to state with B cords holding my gear on the back
    I now have a Dresser, I like the radio& back rest :D & I'am A few day's older then I use to be
    :cool:
  15. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

leather ties work for me and they are easy on a finish, just like on yer horse saddle or pack mule.
  16. Tomflhrci98

lost a bag once

Bungies, .... I live by. Greatest invention since .... rubber:rolleyes:

One time I was inspecting my pack at a gas station and was on the phone at the same time. I didn't finish what I was doing cause I was trying to get off the phone. blah blah blah... Karen! I gotta ride! goodbye. click. Jumped on the bike and took off... a couple miles down the hwy I realized not all of my stuff was with me.

Got off at the next exit and sped back to find my top duffle bag was torn in half, my HD rain gear was laying flat on the hwy like the Scarcrow in the Wizzard of Oz. It was being pounded by truck after truck. :mad: The hoody bag was gone so I gathered up the jacket and pants (lost my pillow out in the desert somewhere) and headed to my buddies in Fort Collins. He had some degreaser so we cleaned all the grease marks and thru it in the washer. When we pulled it out the suit was spotless. The only thing missing was one botton. Still have the rain gear today. I take it as good luck.

Fun road story for ya :D
  17. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i used to carry a 3 man tent and a 2 man sleeping bag on the sissybar and front bars of this bike...took many 4 and 5 day trips....a lot younger then....oh ya....had the o'lady with me also......bungee cords RULE!!!! and a little nylon rope dont hurt either!!!

Attached Files:

18. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

this day and age chuck you don't clam a two man bag it's a two person bag:roflmao: :roflmao:
  19. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

ya know, i was gonna go back and re word that.......but i guess its to late now, but i will clarify that......a 2 woman 1 man tent and a 1 man,1woman bag!!!!;) ;)
  20. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

alright chuck we'll call that a save:rolleyes: