1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Tuning

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jeff88, Sep 1, 2009.

1. jeff88

jeff88 New Member

Hey everyone! I have an04 tc88 with stage 1 kit,vance and hines long shots,se203 cams and se ignition.i`ve been trying to tune this thing and it seems like i have it right on(according to the plugs) but i feel that i can get more out of it.i installed the dynajet kit(thunderjet kit i think) with a 48 pilot and 185 main and 2.5 turns on the a/f screw.it starts right up when its cold but wont idle off choke until the bike warms up for about 5min or so and also once i go for a ride and park it and say go into the store for 20 min or so i have to use the choke to start it again.at low speed its kinda rough but i think it may be the cam profile doin that but i could be wrong.when i get on it it rolls out nice but on decel i get a little backfiring.my thoughts were that i need to put at least a 190 in the main and maybe a 46 in the pilot but when i look at the plugs they are perfect. just a little brown.

thanks everyone for your help!!
  2. duke76

duke76 New Member

Have you checked for vacuum leaks, maybe start there, Todd
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

reading sparkplugs these days is not the same as in days past. the fuels are very different as are the plugs. just because their brown, doesnt mean clean burn.....try this link, it may help a bit....but be sure to check everything else, as mentioned....vacuum leaks, wires,.....ect.........

Bike Talk Motorcycle Forum - FAQ
  4. jeff88

jeff88 New Member

i`ve checked for vacuum leaks and the wires are good.i did run through the article about cv adjustment it just seems like there is more to get out of it and smoother.i just wanted to see if anyone had an idea if the jetting i have is aroundabouts where i should be with all the stuff installed.thanks guys for your help. this site rocks
  5. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Did it do this before you put the Dynajet kit in? The Thunderjet slide is pretty light and may be bouncing a little when you decel. With a 148 pilot jet you shouldn’t even have to use the choke. Depending on your altitude the 185 may be a little lean for high RPM’s. I live at 6,000 ft and run a 145 pilot and 190 main. I’m probably a little rich but the motor seems to like it that way. I never use my choke unless it is below 40 degrees and then only enough to start it. I have the SE ignition, V & H Big Shots staggered, S & S 570 gear driven cams, and SE air filter system. Pretty much the same as you have, my carb is a modified CV with parts from CV Performance at Harley-Performance.com. Plus I still get 50-54 MPG. I have a dynajet kit that I tried and could never get it quite right. Also sometimes you can get a little chain backlash in the cams that will cause popping. How many miles on your bike?
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

According to the chart I just got from CV Performance it says to use a #48 Idle and a #195 main. I'm in the process of re-jetting my 88 with a stage one kit and that is what I'm going to install. I'm about 500 feet above sea level and when I get time this week I'll finish it up and let you know how it runs. Mine had a 185 main in it.
  7. jeff88

jeff88 New Member

i`m not sure what my altitude is.im in philadelphia.im gonna put a 190 main in cause i was thinking it was a little too lean on the top but the pilot i would think would be fat enough like you guys said that i wouldnt need the choke to start it.its driving me nuckin futz:banghead:.i took the plastic slide out and replaced it with the stock that was never modified and no change.i think i may need to put a different kit in it.i put the cams and jetkit in at the same time.the bike only has 12000mi
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  8. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Goggle says your altitude is 9 ft., does that sound right. Man, That’s a lot of oxygen, don’t know if I could breath so much air …LOL..:roflmao::roflmao:

Try going back to stock and work from there, if your going to purchase another kit you owe it to yourself to try one from CV Performance. You won't be sorry and Ken has online help thru this site.
    I gain nothing by recommending CV Performance parts, I just know they work. Hang in there I am sure you will get more replys this evening there is lots of knowledge on this site.
  9. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

One more thing check out the topic CARB on this site for additional info that may or may not help you.
  10. jeff88

jeff88 New Member

:roflmao:your right harley that is alot of oxygen but the airplanes flying over use it up.
    i was looking at that kit.it seems like a good kit and everyone on here seems to use either that one or the one from konfuzed or are they the same?
    either way thank you for all your help!!
  11. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

jeff I put the kit in my daughters sporty & it was a real wake up for the bike , she thought I put a new carb on after she rode it ,& yes cv performance & kenfused are the same good luck & let us know how she goes :cool:
  12. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Well I didn't hear back from Ken on my other post about the jet size so I followed what it said in the directions for jetting that came with his kit. Runs great and idles good, didn't need much choke. I will take it out for a ride tomorrow and let you know how it runs under a load.
  13. jeff88

jeff88 New Member

ok, finally got kens kit in.i followed the directions on it for the jet size and all and it seems like it runs real rich at idle so i put a 46 pilot in and it still seems like its running rich.the a/f screw is 2 1/8 - 2 1/4 turns out.it seems to pull harder at high r`s but the response isnt really there and it doesnt seem like the torque is there either.i used to nail second and the back tire would spin but it doesnt now.i`m wondering if i may need the 190 main and 46 pilot? if you go by the recommendations that setup is for a stock engine.mine has the se203 cams,stage 1 kit and v&h big shots with an se ignition, i wouldnt say that would be stock.it still doesnt start without the choke if you leave the bike sit for like 15min to a 1/2hr after i`ve been driving it.anyone have any insite would be AWESOME:witsend:
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Jeff have you checked for air leaks around your intake? you should not need the chock after it warmed up, as for the jets I would set down & take your time & just slowly adjust A hair at a time & see what that do'es fine tuning take's time ,, to get my Daughters sporty 883c right it took a few hours because of the pipes & air clearner kit & ing she had stock cam
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree it's sounding like an intake leak

Warm it up and get it past the choke issue.

Then using the throttle screw set the idle around 1800 to 2000

Take a can of carb cleaner with the straw, and spray around the intakes at the base, direct it and move around the flange where the gaskets on the intake meet the heads where the intake seals the carb, do it from the carb side and the horn side to get good coverage.

My bet is you'll hear the idle change big time, meaning - Leak...

Change out the intake seals and install properly...
  16. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

All the symptoms you mention are making me think lean mixture.
    What did the kit say to use for jets? As mentioned check for air leaks.
    Have you removed all the Dynajunk parts? This is what I would try and is just my opinion,
    Check for air leaks, even check for leaks around sides of carb, spray a shot into the carb so you know what it sounds like when you do hit an air leak.
    After you determine that there is or is not an air leak. You have been tweaking this thing for some time and have changed and replaced a lot of stuff.
    Remove carb and take completely apart.
    Check all parts for wear, make sure rubber boot around slide is in prefect shape, when removing and reinstalling on to different slides it is pretty easy to tear it a little sometimes or poke a pin hole in it.
    If you have done any modification to the stock slide (like drilling out hole) replace it.
    Clean all parts and reassemble using only good stock and or CV Performance parts.
    Start over on the tuning, using CV Performance recommendations and what you have learned in the recent past.
    I don’t know much about H-D Cams but I think the SE203 is a mid range cam and will not come on until you hit around 2,000 rpm or more.
    We all want to get all we can out of our motors and I am sure we all feel there is a little bit more there, but getting that last bit is very time consuming and sometimes costly in the end, rich is better than lean. Keep us posted on your progress and the out come of your project. Just my 2 cents worth.
  17. jeff88

jeff88 New Member

thanks guys! i have checked it before for leaks but i will check again.all the dynajunk is out of it and all the parts inside look to be in good shape.i did check the seal around the top of the slide and its good.i`m going out to mess with it now i will give you guys a heads up what i come up with.thanks again

ok just came back in.no intake leaks.the kit says a 48 pilot and 195 main.it takes a lil longer to warm up too until it idles on its own.probably cause its running richer.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  18. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

how many turns out from bottom are you?
  19. jeff88

jeff88 New Member

i`m about 2 1/4 turns out on the screw.i sprayed down all the intake areas and couldnt find any leaks.i sprayed it with wd and brake clean and nothing seems to be leaking.i agree it does sound like an intake leak but i cant find any.:banghead:
  20. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Richer should warm quicker cause it is like having the choke part way on. How fast are you expecting it to warm up?
    Most Carburetor bikes will start with out the choke on days above 45 or 50 with a slight twist of the throttle, however they will not idle on there own until warmed up. I start mine and hold idle a bit high (1500+ rpm) for 30 seconds to a minute and drive off, they warm quicker under a load. On cold days below 45, I start up set a fast idle with the thumb lock screw and get the choke off as soon as possible. With in a couple minutes I drive off.