1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Turn signals

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by ruffrider11, Aug 14, 2007.

1. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

I was reading the manual and found out the turn signals are supposed to auto shut off. Mine dont. Read a lot of electric stuff and stuff about speed and time and there is a relay I guess you would call it under the seat. Any one else have this trouble? Should I just get the relay thingy and hope for the best? I was at the dealer taking my riding safety course and talked to a mechanic big long story about removing the seeedometer ect ect make an appointment bring it in blah blah. Its a 00 FLSTF and my first Harley. All advice is appreciated.:chopper:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if you want them to auto turn off, then take it in to the dealer or try to replace the relay your self. the relay should be just a plug and play. alternative is to keep remembering to hit the turn switch after you make your turn.....lol have fun......:)
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

the t signels will stay on for about 1/4 mile I can't remember off hand the time limet
  4. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

The turn signals turn off by distance that is calculated in the turn signal module, not a simple relay. Some things that can effect this are installation of something othe than a stock HD turn signal or light bulb. It all has to do with the load sensed by the circuit. If you or the previous owner changed things up, adding a load equalizer will solve the problem. This could have to be done to both the front and rear turn signals if they've both been changed. Glad to see you have a manual and know how to read it. That's the most important tool in your box.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Is your speedo working, if so then it's probably the TSM, if not is could be the speedo sensor that sensor controls turn signal turn off and Odometer and speed.

If the speedo and turn signals don't work this is the likely culprit

On the 00 softail you have a speedo pickup sensor in the top of the trans on
    the exhaust side, takes an allen to take out, you can remove it and clean it, get the metal shavings off the sensor. Won't hurt to do it anyway.

To get at the TSM or replace the speedo sensor they both connect on the electrical panel in front of the rear tire.

Remove the splash guard and you'll see both, speedo sensor is a triangle shaped connector, the TSM is a light grey box the size of a cigarette pack.
  6. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

I could be wrong, just ask my wife:roflmao: but I thought the turn signals had two circuits that make them shut off. Main circuit works like the bank angle sensor, the one that shuts down the motor if the bike leans more than 45 degrees.

On my Heritage, when I hit the signals and turn a corner the signal goes off as soon as the bike is vertical again. If the bike doesn't lean far enough when turning to activate the auto shut off sensor, they will turn off after about a quarter mile. I have made wide turns at some corners and the signals didn't turn off. After about a qurter mile they turned off.

Now I'm going to have to check the bible:confused:
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

HD has a bank angle sensor but on the older models the BAS was not incorporated into the TSM, the newer ones it is and it can detect deceleration and keeps the signal on longer.

The 00 through I think 02 or 03 had the old style and they turn off way to early as it's based on a count of the teeth on the transgear that passes the sensor magnet.

It's a PIA as I have to keep pushing on my signal button or hit it again, vs getting hit in the arse by the nuts that drive here. :gah:
  8. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Good ole Michigan, just gotta love the a##holes we have on our roads eh!:wtf:
  9. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

thanks

Thanks for all the info I believe I did read something about bank sensor and the quarter mile Previous owner may have changed bulbls not for sure he sure didnt ride it much. Speedo and everything else is stock and seems fine.
    I wont spend alot of money chasing this but I will defitnitly use some ideas
    :cool:
  10. RATAYLOR

RATAYLOR New Member

My 1993 FLHS's turn signal continues blinking 14 times after I take my thumb off. If I'm not moving, it will continue indefinitely, until I begin moving again then 14 more blinks. Later, RT.
  11. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

I have a 97 Dyna...mine stay on for about a block then shut off if I dont turn. If I sit at the light they will stay on till I turn, so Im guessing it is something to do with the distance. My problem with em is all of a sudden my right turn signal wont work...the running light stays lit, but no signal. Ive tried swapping the bulb out, cleaning the connections & nada....could the switch be bad ?