1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Twin Cam Lifters

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

When did Harley start using the "B" lifter in Twinkies and how long before you should replace them?? How long did the previous lifter last??
  2. duke76

duke76 New Member

I think last part of the part number is 99b so I would assume 99, If your lifters are quiet I wouldnt worry about them unless you changed cams then you just as well put them in, I have heard they are the same lifters as a chevy and some guys have even used chevy lifters I believe crane makes them, they are roller. Car engines lifters last a long time if that gives any clue, but I have heard of a few issues with lifters going bad so with that being said maybe 50,000 miles, just my opinion, I'll try to find something out for sure about what year the b lifter came out, Todd
  3. Lucifer

Thanks Todd, yeah they are chevy lifters and the MAP sensor is chevy, prolly other sensors too.My bud's a painter/bodyman for a Chevy Dealer, so we're trying to get cross ref on all the sensors for the TC's. The whole bike is real real quiet right now, -37 Celcius with wind chill:cussing: , North wind off the Atlantic is cold, South wind ain't much better 'cause I'm on an island.
    I was just curious about the lifters and when it warms up a bit I'm gonna check the tensioners since I got 20,000 miles on it I was thinking inner cam bearing (INA to the Torrington B-148) tensioners if worn and lifters.
    Bored and hate winter:rant: Just wondering if they need replacing as often as the Evo's.
  4. duke76

duke76 New Member

Yah, I hear yah about the bike being quiet it was -24F 2 nights ago, ans-20 last night got to 22 above today and possibly 40 by tuesday so we are headed in the right direction anyway, I am still going through my emails looking for the receipt from Zanottis with the part numbers for the lifters but I have 1909 emails so it is taking a while. Todd
  5. gtnot

gtnot New Member

HD Lifter part number 18538-99B
  6. Lucifer

Thanks again fellas, I found my Parts book and the '03's came with the "B" lifter.:)