1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Ultima 6 speed install problems

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by dts, Aug 12, 2007.

1. dts

dts New Member

ultima 6 speed install probs

I know this thread is a little old but...
    had some problems with my 91 fatboy 5 speed i've riden since 92,so decided to install an Utima 6 speed for under 600 bills wth couldn't go wrong ,RIGHT! WRONG!haven nothin but problems LOL. I put on a 65 tooth rear sprocket in the mid 90's and had a 34 too primary drive sprocket with spacer etc kicking around in my shop,that i was gonna put on for my 5 peed and knock down the rms sum more .being that the spacer on the mainshaft of the new tranny would not allow me clearance for my 32 tooth stock primary drive sprocket I went with the 34 tooth ,after install "MY BIKE IS A DOG" it has no get up and go with the 2 sprocket upgrades i could barly get it to start in 1st with out a push!!! changed rear sprocket "needed new drivebelt old would not fit"to stock helped a little,but still a dog!went back in took out 34 tooth primary drive sprocket repaced with old 32 tooth and spacer from old 5 speed and new oil seal for tranny to fit old spacer another belt and thought "THERE ! THAT WILL DO IT!!!!:) :) " WRONG :angry: still cant get past maybe 70 mph in 5th throttle to the max grrrrrrrrrrr! 6th is a no go will not pull in 6th at all ,have to gear down to 5thI am readyo throw in the towel and take it to a shop and see what they can do cause my planned trip down to New Mexico is not lookin to good!:angry: :confused: any one with a thought on this???
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

There could be a few different things at fault here. With a 6 speed you may want to go down to a 31 or 30 tooth rear pulley. A 34 pulley with a 61 rear will bog unless you are running a big 100"+ engine.

For the rear pulley go back to the stock 65 tooth. I wouldn't worry about your cruise RPMs since the 6th speed will take care of that.

I could be wrong, but I think that a 31/65 combo uses the same belt as on your stock Evo.
  3. dts

dts New Member

thnx but

I'm pretty sure the rear pully is actually 70 tooth stock and primary drive"transmission shaft sprocket"is 32 tooth stock Ken,would I gain anthing by changinging out the compensating sprochet to a smaller one or am I chasing the dragons tail???
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

A 32 tooth transmission pulley and 65 tooth rear pulley should be stock for 86-99 Fatboys. The 70 tooth rear pulley is for Twin Cams and larger displacement Evos. If you want to gain a slight boost in torque go to a 31 tooth trans pulley but stick with a 65 rear. Your RPMs will come up slightly but having a 6 speed more than compensates for this. You will feel some noticeable torque with this combo. Also I'd stick with your stock comp sprocket.
  5. fxdxsteve

fxdxsteve Active Member

6. dts

dts New Member

thnx but

actually the rear sprocket on the 91 stock is 70 tooth,ken and steve.but now its a whole new problem! with my single fire ign.but when I get this issue with my ignition firing one cyliner I'LL go back and try my 65 tooth it seems to pull really strong still!!!
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  7. paco

paco New Member

dts,

How did the trans ever turn out. I installed a Ultima motor on my dresser and am interested in the 6 speed gear set. I can not find a complete trans by ultima for the touring bikes. I am sure someone makes them, but I am interested in the Ultima line. I would like to try one on my 1990 and maybe even on my 1999 roadglide.

Anyone have any info or comments ?

later.......................
  8. strickt9Rob

strickt9Rob Active Member

Ultima Trans

I instlled a Ulima LSD last season in my 95 Heritage.It went in like flint.I ran 32-70 gearing,I was happy with it put 6,000mis on it with out a hitch. The product all around is quality came nicely polished billet trapdoor chrome covers for $550. to the front door even if I had to buy won every other year.Can't beat it I'm thinking about of stuffing 120" El'Burto in it does any one know how the motors are,heard of any nitemares really like to give it a run. I'd really like to hear if anyone heard of any problems .I was told that the 120". are nice cruzzin motors 4 1/4 X 4 1/4 lots of tourqe.............
    ...............................................................Thanks..........Rob.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  9. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

pretty sure Paco just did an El Bruto motor on his bike. Look in here somewhere for a thread on it. He did a nice job and he likes the motor, or maybe PM him.
  10. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

So far this thread has been limited to trans and sprocket assy's. Not wanting to jump on anyone's toes, but I had a similar problem and it was dogging out in 5th (only a 5 speed), then it got worse in 4th... Was much worse when I went 2 up... Turned out to be the clutch. Had the spring ring (held together with brass rivets) fail which destroyed several clutch plates and wore a groove in the hub. Had to rebuild the clutch pack and went without the spring ring this time. Work great now... I would give that a try...:)
  11. paco

paco New Member

I installed the 6 sp gear set from Ultima in my 90 eglide. have maybe 600-800 miles on it now with no issues.i did not change any pulleys inside or outside the primary. all pulleys were left stock. seems like it works because the BIG 96" and 103" twinkies nearly sh*t when I walk off and leave them on a hot start. Shifts slicker than stock, seems like stock until I get to 70-80 mph and then i got another gear....heh,heh ! i like it. ultima 107" motor still running like a raped ape, so at this time i am a happy camper.

later...........
  12. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

thanks for the update paco..............one day........i may do the same......:)
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Buds 98K with Ultima 113's 5 speed just dumpted the mainshaft bearing, pulled it apart, no other damage, we did a cost est,

HD Parts to RNR the Trans, $150 + cost of new maingear bearing and seals change jackshaft seal (You should do that after 10 years) New billet Jims trap door $140, so $290 + and you have a 5 speed.

New Ultima 6 speed in polished cases for softail, $549 unreal, comes with billet trap door, all the internals on the shafts, new main gear, new shifter pawl and roller drum, covers etc.

Be installing it next week, once it arrives after easter, so basically for $300 he's got a new trans 6 speed gears bearings and all.....
  14. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

that sounds like the way to go.......nice to see the prices of the 6 speeds not way up there. let us know how it goes together!........:)
  15. paco

paco New Member

chuck,
    prices on 6 speeds are rediculous, except for the ultima. i checked on prices for the baker, jims and others at J&P cyclesand others. of coarse i know that J&P is just a middle man, but still I get a overview of the price of parts. evebn ebay prices are out of sight. i really need t go ahead and buy an ultima tranny for my 99 rglide before they decide to go up on them.

later...............
  16. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

JIreh is owned by the son of the owner of Midwest, if you are going to buy a midwest/ultima product you won't get it any cheaper than through them.
  17. dts

dts New Member

re ultima

sorry about that paco forgot to get back to this thread! gad the 6 speed worked out for u ,is a pretty simple install alright ,pretty happy with it took it down to New Mexico and back up to Canada was great but still have to dick around with the sprockets I think:rolleyes: