1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Ultima single fire ignition

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Crest, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Crest

Crest Member

Last July I changed my ingition, went to the Ultima Single fire ignition worked great till this past Saturday. Cranked it up, got the helmet and the wife and was ready to roll and fired it up again, No fire to the rear cylinder, tried changing plugs, wires, traced all the wires to module in nose cone, all good. switched the blue wire with the pink on the coil, rear cylinder fires but not the front, was told by ebay person that I bought from, he said the coil seems to be the culprit, (Ultima coil but made in China) but he now has them that are made in USA. I have a ohm meter but I just don't know the correct was to test it. Is there anyone here that can give me the correct method? I hope its the coil instead of the module, I bought it as a full kit, coil is much cheaper to replace. Thanks to anyone that can help me. 89 HD FLSTC
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If it's single fire you can move the front plug to the rear and rear to front on coil see if the cylinder that is firing moves from Rear to Front that would generally mean it is the coil.

YOu should be able to get a replacement coil from HD
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it's 3.2 ohms (3-3.5) across the primary and around 15-16,000 ohms across each leg of the secondary...30-40,000ohms across the 2 outside terminals...
    Your Ultima Ignition is a Dyna 2000i nose cone ignition.....A Dyna or Crane single fire coil will work and the coil is Chinese junk in the Ultima
    Take some readings across the primary and secondary(ies) and let us know what you get...