1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

up the creek

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by AFNurse, Jun 22, 2004.

1. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

:confused: Ok, I have ordered the Ness Big Sucker stage 1 from CD....(tho he may not know it at time of this writing...). I have an '04 E-Glide Standard EFI. I do not yet have a power commander and still have stock pipes. What is this stage 1 upgrade thing that people talk about? What will I have to do to/for my bike to make it work well? I live in Germany, so if I need to go to a shop, I need to know EXACTLY what to tell them to do!! Thanks for any/all input on this problem! :eek:
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Chris

A stage 1 is the basic perfomance upgrade to a Big Twin or Sportster

Basically it includes

Performance Air filter Kit (Ness, SE)
    Better Flowing Pipes/mufflers
    Tuning the Carb, or, Tuning the EFI.

You have one of the three, to get the best effect you need to open up the pipes, if you can't or don't have access to new mufflers you can punch out the baffles in your stock pipes with a big spike or drill. Best bet would be toget CD to send you a set of Khrome Werks HP+ tapered slip ons or HD Screaming Eagle Slip ons.

Tuning means rejetting the carb, or putting more fuel in though the EFI system.

You have a lot of choices but the best in order of least cost (and simplicity)

DFO (Digital Fuel Optimizer) or TFI basically taps into the EFI harness and tells the fuel injectors to stay open longer or pulse more fuel. Only Tunes fuel.

Powercommander 3r connects into the exiting bike harness and can have a map downloaded by USB or serial connection that tells the bike it needs more or less fuel and timing. So it's a bit more tuneable

Race Tuner, does same as Powercommander more expensive, run from a laptop.

For you a powercommander or dfo would work, if you plan on cams, heads etc down the road go powercommander or race tuner.

www.khomewerks.com
    www.powercommander.com
    www.techlusion.com

or here at www.directparts.com
  3. AFNurse

Thanks! I am sorta piecing this together....plans WAY down the road are power commander and Hooker true dual headers with slash down pipes.....(unless I find something I like better...), course cost is ALWAYS an issue so I just want to ensure I don't fry my system before I complete it!
  4. hotroadking

Rule of thumb on the 04's efi is it's ok to change the pipes without reflash but not the filter or the filter and the pipes. Lets in too much air and leans it out too much for the ECU to compensate, not sure what it would do with just the filter and stock pipes.
  5. AFNurse

I think that I will error on the side of NOT frying my bike.....I'll hold off on adding the filter until I get the power commander. Unless someone knows how the bike will "react" with a new filter, and continuing to use stock pipes. I am just going to hate having new stuff sitting on the shelf and not sure if I can safely put it on!! I could take it to a shop and have the bike reflashed, however, not sure how much the German HD shops will charge for that..... :(
  6. hotroadking

You are looking at $150 for the module and about a half hour labor so $200, for that I'd buy the DFO for $150 or so and do it yourself.