1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Upgrading from 883 to 1250

Discussion in 'CVP Stage 1 Tuners Kit' started by tim, Jan 17, 2008.

1. tim

tim New Member

Hi Ken,
    I am about to upgrade my scoot to a 1250(Revolution Performance Kit), i am going to leave my pilot jet settings the same as when it was an 883 with your jet kit and change the main to the factory 1200,180 main as a starting point. Is your jet kit the same for the 1200 as it was for the 883? And would this be a good starting point. Also i was not sure where to post this so i started here
    Thanks Tim Hahn
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

You'll need to adjust the mixture screw, or EZ-Just if you have that installed. You may need to go larger on the pilot jet if you have the mixture turned out more than 3-1/2 turns. Your jetting will also depend on what heads you will be using. If you are using the Revolution kit that keeps your 883 heads then you should be ok with the 180 main. The XLH 1200 or Thunderstorm heads will probably require a 185 main with a 45 or 46 pilot jet.
  3. tim

tim New Member

Hi Ken,
    If you remember i already am using a 45 pilot at almost 3.5 turns open currently. But we will start there with no changes and the 180 main installed. I will let you know what jets we settle on. One of the Enginners i work with that works on scoots will be helping me with this upgrade. I am keeping the 883 heads to start, maybe at some future time we will swap heads and maybe cams.Thanks for the info much appreciated.
    Tim
  4. kenfuzed

Sticking with the 883 heads you may not see the need to change the idle jet. The next size up is a #46 or #48, but 48 will likely be far too big. Your current set up should have you in the ballpark and you can adjust from there.
  5. CD

CD Guest

Not to step on Ken's product support forum but be very, very careful if you elect to use the stock heads. The squish area of the 883 head will be very small and C.R. can go over 12:1 if you do not use dished pistons or machine the combustion chamber to match the bore of the jugs. Many an 883 has melted pistons because someone used the S&S 1200 pistons and left the chambers stock.

There is an old trick of using 1100 valves and cleaning up the ports that gives the little 883 heads some pretty good flow....
  6. tim

tim New Member

hi CD,
    Revolution performance Kit uses dished pistons specifically designed for the 883 heads. 10.5 to 1 compression ratio
    Tim
  7. tim

tim New Member

whoops check that CR it is 10 to 1
    tim
  8. tim

tim New Member

Hi CD,
    I am interested in any more info you can give me on installing the 1100 valves into the 883 heads,
    Tim
  9. tim

tim New Member

Hi Ken,
    I am still in the breakin period for this conversion but i was looking for a little advice, i am currently using the 46 pilot at 3.5 turns open. The plug colors are eggshell with a really light hazing of grey on the rear cylinder, the front is basicly an eggshell white. I wonder if i should up the pilot jet and readjust the mixture screw as i have basicly no mixture adjustment left. The needle,spring and emulsion tube are all your latest parts
    Tim:D
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hi tim.....ken may be out of pocket until monday.......but i am sure he will get back with you................:)
  11. tim

tim New Member

Thanks chuck , if you have any suggestions i am happy to listen, and keep those avatars coming!!!
    tim
  12. kenfuzed

Hi Tim, your plug color sounds fine to me and with today's fuel additives you aren't as likely to get a really strong beige color like we used to. You didn't mention how well the bike is running but if you aren't getting the dreaded off-idle carb fart then I'd leave it be and enjoy the ride. The revolution kit you installed may still be a bit thirsty so you could always up it to a #48 slow jet and back down the EZ-just. Otherwise I'd be inclined to let out the screw another 1/8th and run on the rich side until I got through the breakin period.
  13. tim

tim New Member

hi Ken ,The dreaded off idle fart is gone, Bike is very responsive and runs really well. will leave jetting as is.
    Thanks Tim