1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

USS New York

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Jan 17, 2008.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

USS New York

It was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade Center .

It is the fifth in a new class of warship - designed for missions that include special operations against terrorists. It will carry a crew of 360 sailors and 700 combat-ready Marines to be delivered ashore by helicopters and assault craft.

Steel from the World Trade Center was melted down in a foundry in Amite , LA to cast the ship's bow section. When it was poured into the molds on Sept 9, 2003 , 'those big rough steelworkers treated it with total reverence,' recalled Navy Capt. Kevin Wensing, who was there. 'It was a spiritual moment for everybody there.'

Junior Chavers, foundry operations manager, said that when the trade center steel first arrived, he touched it with his hand and the 'hair on my neck stood up.' 'It had a big meaning to it for all of us,' he said. 'They knocked us down. They can't keep us down. We're going to be back.'

The ship's motto? 'Never Forget'
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Cool... I had a cousin in the 2nd tower... I'll never forget that day!!!:)
  3. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Cool, I hope that thing kicks some serious ass!!
  4. deweylsmith

deweylsmith Active Member

I would like to hear that it did, just that. Kick ASS.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

very cool!!!!!!! thanks for the post....and it will kick some butt....if our govt will let it!!!!!!!!:)
  6. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

The USS New York is what we call a "gator freighter", in that it is used to move and support Marines and SOF units around the globe. It has some defensive abilities, but it's real power is in delivering Devil Dogs into the bad guys' neighborhood. A fine ship.
  7. 2fastnaz

2fastnaz Moderator

A fast ship going in harms way. God bless all who sail on her (and her sea going bell hops as well) I never will get used to them being all haze grey. I'm too used to the black mack (smoke stack). I guess 10 years of feeding boilers will do that to you.

JD

USN 79-89 BT1
  8. FLHTbiker

2fastnaz, only 4 years and 3 months (held over do to Vietnam) USN EN2, USS shelton, Vietnam. Todays Navy is a much better Navy than it was during the Vietnam War. Guys are better educated and care.
  9. SK

SK New Member

That's the difference between volunteering and being drafted. Not that many draftees weren't educated or didn't care (many were), but volunteers do it because they want to.
  10. FLHTbiker

SK, back then when the draft was going on those in the Navy and Air Force were not drafted but those that were drafted went into the Army and my understanding is that those drafted spent 2 years in the service.
    I joined the Navy and your time in service was 4 years. Many of those that also joined were under educated and many of those even in the Navy back then would never even make it into the Army today.
    I remember some didn't even know how to brush there teeth and did not even graduate from high school. Some could barley write their name or it was so un-legible that you couldn't read it even if they printed it. You can't even join the Army to be a foot soldier today without a high school certificate. No, I think most of those in the service today are better educated and the service is a better place because of those requirements.