1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Vacuum Line for VOES Switch

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by deweylsmith, Aug 17, 2007.

1. deweylsmith

deweylsmith Active Member

I am having a problem figuring out the routing of my vacuum line from my carb to the VOES Switch. The manual talks about it. The routing on my bike runs from the carb to the switch, than "T's" and runs down the frame and turns into the frame by the fuse block under the seat.I guess it must be this way, but wouldn't that be like a leak?
    This is for my '98 Dyna Glide. Any ideas?
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

That might actually lead to an emissions canister if your model was equipped with one. If it does in fact lead nowhere and is open, you can remove the tee so that you only have the one line direct from the carburetor's vacuum port to the VOES. Just to make sure, this vac line is coming off the top brass nipple just above the carb's rear throat, correct?

Some models also have a second port on the lower side of the carburetor (looks like a smaller version of the fuel inlet). That port would normally lead to any emissions canister or be blocked if not being used. This isn't actually true manifold vacuum since it is only open when the throttle opens, and is located just behind the throttle butterfly.
  3. deweylsmith

Thanks for the reply, Ken. It does come off the top. The piece of hose is real short to the tee.
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

If thats the case then you not only have a vacuum leak but the VOES probably isn't being actuated.
  5. deweylsmith

Ken, I'll let the board know what I find.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Not that you want to but you can eliminate the VOES with a Crane Hi-4 igntion and a Pingle Petcock.

Just sayin.....
  7. deweylsmith

Is there alot to do it? Will it improve performance?
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Not in and of it'self but combined with some motor work ,cams etc , you can select voes or no voes on the Crane HI-4 Igntion.
  9. deweylsmith

Thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind.