1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Veteran's Day Run

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Red Rider, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Even though it'll be a bit on the cool side (30's-40's F), I'm going to ride the hour or so to Reno tomorrow to take part in Applebee's resterant's free meal for veterans tomorrow. I've always liked their food anyway, and do appreciate that they appreciate those that served. The wait-staff will be happy, too, as I plan on tipping the meal/tip normal cost. My way of saying thanks back.
    I recommend other vets do the same. Wasn't like this in the '70s, that is for certain!
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Your sure right it was not like that in the 60's or 70's. Friend of mine and myself are going to Applebee's also. Don't have an hour ride but it will be a wet and cold ride.:D
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

y'all be careful, dont eat too much!!!!!! very cool what applebees is doing.....
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Yep enjoy your selfs & happy vets day to all :cool:
  5. Red Rider

The follow-up: Though it was 39 degrees when I headed out, my heated gloves kept me from being too cold. Amazing how much just having warm hands does for ya. Picked up my neice in Reno (a UNR student) and rode to the Sparks Applebee's. Since they have a special menu for vets, I didn't get my usual Bourbon Street steak - had the bacon cheddar cheeseburger instead...and it was fine. KOLO news showed up, and since I was wearing my vest with a bunch of military patches they kinda made a point of getting us on TV (or so my niece excitedly called to tell me, as I didn't watch it). We had a good time and surprised the waiter with the big tip (as I feared, too few vets were tipping). Another cold hour home, but the new handlebars made for a very comfortable ride. All in all, a good ride on a good day.
    :cheers:
  6. FLHTbiker

Went for a long cold ride to today and wound up at a Applebee's. with other friends. Turned on the heated grips and them things actually got to warm. Had to turn em down, but Reds right keeping the hands warm keeps you riding longer and more comfortable. Started raining later in the day, oh well.
    :rolleyes: Wife wouldn't let me eat the Bacon, Cheese Burger had some kind of a chicken/noodle thing. Didn't tell her that when riding this morning with my friends we stopped at a gas station store combo and we had Corn dogs, they were great. I didn't go into Portland for the big Vet parade, to crowded. Gotta go down to Albany OR one day, they have one of the largest Vet parades in the country every year.
  7. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Took the OL and my son to Applebees and had the sirlion - it was great and before we left I let them know how much it was appreciated also the waitress got a large tip for the excellent service.
    Even with the free meal we spen over forty dollars - so I think Applebees made out all right too. At least they won't have to wait another year before they see me and mine coming back again. Also had a sales rep from Miller Beer going around to the guys and giving them free beer.
    Monday the Goldern Corral is also putting on a free feed for the troops - so thats two meals I won't be missing this year. Might even have to let the belt out a notch or two. :D
  8. FLHTbiker

:( We don't have Golden Corral restaurants here.
  9. Red Rider

Yep, I wish we had a Golden Corral, too. Nice of them to stand up for their country.