1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Virgina City run

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by Red Rider, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Yesterday my friend & I rode our Road Kings up to Virginia City. The weather was beautiful in the valley (about 4200ft). As we climbed to the city at 6,220 feet above sea level it, the snow became thicker and thicker on the hillsides. Fortunately the road (Six Mile Canyon) remained clear of snow and the few potholes were easily dodgeable. Traction sand was mostly gone, too, so it was just a gorgeous ride up the snow-filled canyon. Once in VC, we broke out our cigars and sat in the warm sunshine infront of the Bucket Of Blood saloon, where my great-grandmother used to work back in the Roaring '20's. There were about 6 other bikers in town, but all from nearer-by Reno.

The mountain west of the city was socked with snow, but the breeze was slight from the east so all that ice didn't chill us at all. But when the sun got behind the mountain it was time to roll again. Back down the canyon, a quick stop in Silver Springs (Jerry Lee's) and then home. Was a great day to ride.

May be my last with my friend for awhile. He had discovered last week he has lymphatic cancer. Today he's in for bone marrow tests, and then they'll nail down what the treatment options are. Just glad we got out when we did, and had a great ride in February.
  2. SK

SK New Member

Sorry 'bout your friend Red..hope things turn out well for him.

I love 6 Mile Canyon. When I ride up from Las Vegas, I usually come up 6 Mile Canyon from US 50 near Dayton. You go right by that strange looking little mountain viewed from all over VC. First time I ever road it was at night to go have dinner in Dayton..damn cold going through there even in late September. Glad you got in a good ride. I'm gonna ride over around Death Valley in the next week (was 86ยบ there yesterday) to see the spring flowers blooming.
  3. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Thanks, SK. Things aren't looking good for him, though. Sucks, but Life is what it is.

We just finished some fine cigars and tipped a great bottle of Glenmorangie scotch. Might as well live it up, for however long we've got. Ya'll should do the same.
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Red, hope your friend gets better soon so that you can ride up the mountain to VC again. Being down is no fun and no riding really sucks especially on the days when the sun is out. Hope the best for your friend.
    I'm going to be in Vegas in May for the HOG training weekend and hope the weather is warmer by then.
  5. SK

SK New Member

Let me know when you come to town Marc. We could hook up for a drink or something.
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

That would be nice SK, I'll let you know when I'll be there.