1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Visit of the scratch monster

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Hogdog, May 2, 2017.

1. Hogdog

Hogdog Active Member

Somehow got a deep scratch on Rosy's front cheek. Rosy is a 96 wide glide, and a proud girl she is. Is there any way to repair this scratch without painting the whole bike? I think the darned thing went clear to the metal.
  2. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

With scratches down to the metal i am unaware of any quick repairs. Most fixes offered are only for only filling scratches on the clear coat. I think once past the clear coat you'll need touch up primer and paint.

HD offers little bottles that have tiny brushs attached to the cap. If done carefully and gently, perhaps some wet sanding you might could get a pretty good looking fix. I've had to do it over the years with mixed results.
    Hogdog likes this.
  3. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

I've had really good results with the H-D touch up paint ,sold with color and clear, Clean scratch out with alchohoal fill with color, let set over night. Sand down excess paint with 600 emery . repeat untill scratch is filled in(patience). Cover with the clear, 600 again. Then polishing compound.
    badinfluence63 and Hogdog like this.
  4. beagle02

beagle02 Member

Tried HD once and got fair result. Not very deep scratches though.