1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wanted To Buy

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Dec 26, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I am looking for a lap top computer that has Windows xp installed on it. I do not care what kind of computer it is other than that is in good working order. If you have one that you may want to sell, please pm me and we can talk. Thanks.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I have bought commuters off EBay with great luck and have got them with XP.
    Last one was a touch screen Fujitsu and I love it. You can expect to pay up to 450 for a good used one. Mine has lasted me now 4 years. :)
  3. JohnnyBiker

Have never heard of them. I think that I found one on ebay as well but the wife is real skeptical of it. It is a Dell.
  4. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

have had several different brands over the years, now both my desktop and laptop are Dell, computers at work are Dell, the work laptop is over 4 yrs old and no problems with it or any of the others.:D
    if I get another one it will be Dell jmo
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Dell is good just not the quality as a Fujitsu. Fujitsu has been around a long time. But a Dell would probably be fine. One I will never own again is a HP, everyone we have had went bad.
  6. JohnnyBiker

I had a DELL laptop but the wife thought she was smart and screwed it up. After I bought a new one a friend of mine got the DELL running. Then I sold it for $500. I don't need a real elaborate one, just something that works.:D
  7. JohnnyBiker

I am typing on an HP lap top and I love it. I have had it for three years now and no issues.
  8. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

try your local pawn shops, seen them at the ones around here before, and u should be able to get a pretty good price, I only gave $549 for my 17" Dell last month brand new.
  9. JohnnyBiker

That is not a bad idea. I haven't been to a pawn shop for a long time. Thanks BG.:cool:
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

All I saw in one was old junk

But you might get lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. JohnnyBiker

I am not looking for the "best" just something that works for what I need it to do.:D
  12. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

13. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Have one HP and one Dell. Dell is work computer, just who our company leases from. Have had two in a row, that have worked very well. The hp OK, biggest issue is the HP has Vista and the Dell has Windows 7. Previous Dell had XP. Both XP and windows 7 are good systems, Vista is not IMO. Ram hog and lots of conflicts. Maybe just my preference.
  14. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

I live close to several collages. They sell of thier old stuff when they upgrade. Might find a place like that around you.
    Leo
  15. JohnnyBiker

This site looks really good. I just briefly looked at it and I found a computer that I saw on ebay. I am liking what I am seeing so far. These prices are really cheep and what I am looking for. Thank God I don't need that internet for this computer. Thank You Jake....
  16. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

You are right about Windows Vista....junk.

Johnny, try TigerDirect.com for very inexpensive new equipment. I saw a new Acer 17" laptop with Intel I5 processor, 500 gig hard drive and lots of memory for $400. I bought a HP with XP Pro last year for $300--works like a charm.
  17. JohnnyBiker

I think that I found another computer that will work. It is really old, it only has 1k mb and 60 gb. It will work, but man is that small in comparison to what is out there now. There is two days left in the auction. I am getting excited for this as I will have a lot of un once I get the computer that I need. :D:cool:
  18. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

are you sure one that small/old will do what you want it to , you might find that a set of big bust wont fit right :eek:
  19. JohnnyBiker

I will be making a phone call tomorrow that will confirm if that is sufficient or not. If it isn't, I can always buy memory for the computer. Memory is pretty cheep so I am not too worried about it. Right now the auction price is at like $6. Its a refurbed.
  20. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

thats good , just keep a eye on it , alot of folkes wate till the last minunte to shoot the price up