1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Warning

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Jun 29, 2010.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

great reminder!!!!!!!
  3. cardboard

Here is a reply somebody else replied to on this subject

That's how I got Lukemia!! The Cleaning solvents we used after Floyd destroyed the East Coast in 99. We were shipped some Cleaners that had been banned in the late 80's.
    Benzene was my Culprit. it was in liquid Wrech, Cleaning solvents & Gasoline!!
  4. chucktx

yup............and they are worse with heat added!!!!!!!!! ALL SOLVENTS if ya dont believe me, read the labels!!!
  5. cardboard

So if you spray them on something hot, Like yer motorcycle it does the same thing.
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I had read that story before and its a really good reminder for us all that work in our shops or garages. I don't even carry brake cleaner at home any longer. When in the Navy I worked with a multitude of cleaners for the diesel injectors and other components. Always be careful what you inhale, you just never know.
  7. chucktx

your catchin on!!!!!!!! if ya gonna spray, have a fan set up. ya notice how many fans i have in my shop????? aint cause im rich!!!! lol lol if i need (key word is need)....to spay on a hot engine i use one of the fans to blow it away from living things......even you if ya was standin there!!!!!!!!!! lol
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Yep I keep a few fans & all doors open , heck when I first read warning I thought he drank some Bud & eating beans & coleslaw :roflmao:
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

:eek: Heck Cowboy, when I first saw that Warning heading my first thought was he was coming to Oregon :roflmao::roflmao:
  10. chucktx

:roflmao::D:roflmao::D:roflmao:
  11. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I may be lucky to have done this and had no problems. I've taken a torch and heated oil gallery plugs on a 350 block until good a red then hit them with WD40. They sure do come out easy. I was taught this in shop class in high school by the instructor. I'm going to look at the WD40 can and see what is in there. I only use this method as a last resort. I have also used ZEP Twister in the same manner. I'm guessing that I'm really lucky to have no problems.
  12. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

That Zep stuff is really good stuff. We use this a lot at work. this stuff will remove hair off your feet. :D
  13. chucktx

very lucky....wd 40 is a ver volitle fuel. especially when heated to a vapor....one small spark from the cast on the block and ya got your self a fair sized fireball......than can take down a shop! stay safe!!!!!!:)
  14. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

When I was working on the engine block I was outside. All torching that I've done has been outside. I did have the WD40 flare on me when I hit the gallery plugs. I don't believe that Zep is so flammable.