1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Warranty and new exhuast

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by dinosdeuce, Oct 15, 2005.

1. dinosdeuce

dinosdeuce New Member

Dealer states they will not honor my warranty if I do the intall of my new rineharts, power commander (from direct parts) and stage 1 air filter. They want $600 to install exhaust, stage 1 air filter and download the stage 1 map. Another caveat is unless I get the racer tuner at that time again no warranty.

SO from you "old" heads ;) ...... should I just wait 2 years to install the exhaust to keep they waranty intact or what I'm going to do (unless hard evidence points otherwise) is install the exhaust and screw the warranty.

Thanks,

Dino
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

do what I am doing

Hey, Here is what I am doing....I have a 5 year extended warrenty on my 04 EGlide Standard.....Install ALL the parts yourself...KEEP the stock stuff that you pulled off. IF you have problems, put stock stuff back on before going back to the shop. They have to proove that your parts caused the problem before they "can't cover" the warrenty....also think that there may be a law pertaining to this type of thing..... CD and some of the others know this well and there are many referances to it in old threads. HD Race Tuner is THEIR stuff and they want to push it hard as it costs twice as much as the PC. pipes will take a bit, PC takes about 15 minutes (more if you need to move your laptop to the bike to put on the map and or have some hickups with the map stuff), and the Air filter about 15-30 minutes....anyway that was my time and I am a nurse, not a mechanic! Good luck! :D
  3. dinosdeuce

dinosdeuce New Member

AFNurse,

That sounds like a great plan. ;) Thanks. They were real adamant about the race tuner and how the PC was inferior to it. They have seem too many problems with the PC. I said, "funny I have had them on 2 different bikes and absolutely no problems".

I'll have to pick up the pipes from UPS Monday. They tried to delivery on Friday need a signature and no one home. Said they would try again Monday but I called the 1 800 number and asked if I could just pick them up becasue no one would be home Monday either. The PC shlould be here Monday as well. Direct Parts sure does have fast shipping. Tuesday I'll pick up the stage 1 air filter from the local shop. But I have the first service scheduled for Saturday morning. SO I'll hold off installing everything until then.

Thanks

Dino
  4. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

My understanding on the race tuner (take this with a BLOCK of salt cuz I am not for sure on this) is that it MAY be more modifiable then the PC, HOWEVER, they price it WAY high, and they are about the only ones (HD Shops) that have the stuff to tune it. The PC is a bit less tunable, unless you go to someone that has a dyno for it (not too hard to find), but you can also change it at home to some degree. I am "close" on my download map, someday would like to have it dyno tuned for max gas milage/HP/Torque.... Good luck with your "project!!" :D
  5. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I think that your shop is being a little harsh..now granted you know that they want to sell stuff but I'd say the pipes are a non issue. I know up this way the shops can get a little sketchy on mods..bolt on stuff and downloads..ok but tweaking carbs is a no go. I went 95 without getting the race tuner. I'd see where their hangup is ..CD will give you lots of info on this topic. good luck.