1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

We rode to the Tillamook Air Museum Today

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Jul 17, 2013.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

City of Tillamook sits right on the central Oregon coast and once hosted some of the largest Blimps used in WWII
    The structure is still there but the Blimps are gone now. It is enormous inside and could hold 8 Blimps at one time. Now they store
    Old WWII fighters and bombers inside. All the plans run and fly. Here are a few pics, my favorite was the P51 Mustang and the P38 both fighters used in the war. The P38 was the fighter they used to chase down the Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, mastermind of the Pearl Harbor attack.

View attachment 7914
    View attachment 7920
    View attachment 7915
    View attachment 7916
    View attachment 7917
    View attachment 7918
    View attachment 7921
    View attachment 7919

Here are a few pics
  2. FLHTbiker

3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

NIce that would be a fun ride..
  4. FLHTbiker

Afterwords we rode over to the famous Tillamook Cheeze factory. They have over 40 flavors of their ice cream. Oh, man is that good.
    But there was a tour bus that had just got there bringing in a whole bus load of old ladies and men from Oklahoma. Talked to one old gal and she was saying how can you people stand it here. We asked her what she meant and she said those damm trees, there endless. Yep, we told her and there's more where your going. :roflmao: and she says oh my.
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

See, I'm not the only one with a dislike for dense forests!

But I do like Tillamook Cheese! Mmmmmm, cheeeeeeese.......

Come to Fallon if you want to see today's combat aircraft, plus a display of adversary planes from the Korean war through today.. If you're lucky, 30 miles east you can see our planes dropping bombs on the training range, right from the highway. You'll also feel it, as they make big booms.
    :cheers:
  6. FLHTbiker

Red, Oregon is a very diverse state with open areas, high deserts, mountains and yes lots of trees on the western side.
    I've been in almost every state and can't find a more beautiful state than Oregon. Yes, I'm predudice cause I live here but it truly is diverse and beautiful.

We also have another very big air musium called Evergreen Air Musium that houses every kind of military aircraft and even space vehicals. Even has the Spruce Goose inside and you can actually go inside it.
  7. Red Rider

So they moved the Spruce Goose north? It used to be parked next to the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA. Could see it from the yardarms when my ship was in the yards in '82.

I'm very familiar with Oregon. Ride through Eastern Oregon whenever I go to Boise and environs, and Western Oregon when I ride to Washington. Steen's Mountain is pretty cool. Been to Mt Hood, the Dalles, Wasco. Stayed in Ashland, Eugene, Medford, Grant's Pass and Portland on different occasions. Glad folks love it there, and I don't think its a bad place. I just don't think its the best place for me. If I wanted to move, (if Nevada gets completely Californicated), I'd much rather live in Idaho than Oregon.

I do absolutely HATE beets. Doesn't offend me if other folks love 'em. To each, his own.:cheers:
  8. FLHTbiker

Spruce Goose has been here in Oregon for many years now. The old CIA aviation company from Vietnam era Evergreen Aviation has it on display plus all the other aviation items I mentioned.
    I still feel Oregon offers the best diversity in terrain than any other state. I agree Idaho is pretty nice, but up in the Northern area only. The lower half is what you like. Maddog and I along with a few others are headed for upper Idaho and western Montana in a week from today.

http://www.evergreenmuseum.org/

What does beets have to do with aviation or Oregon:confused:
  9. Red Rider

Some people actually eat beets: of course, they are evil, deluded fools that should be expunged from this Earth, as with their beets!:fight:

;) Actually, it is an analogy: we don't have to like the same things, and no one has to be "wrong" for one to not agree with another.
  10. FLHTbiker

The ride down there follows Hwy 6 and the Wilson River to the coast. Bet, you would have really enjoyed the ride. Dense lush green forests, full of Elk, Deer, And rivers full of Salmon and trout. The Musium is closing in a couple years. They said to costly to keep open. All the planes will be flown to central Oregon in a town called Madris. Red would like Madris.
  11. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Nice photos! Nice scenery too! More than One of dem planes says "made in Long Island" all over em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  12. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Sweet...My dad flew F4U Coursair's and Grumann Hell Cats in the Pacific...I love those old planes...Is the Tillamook cheest factory still around? Went there as a kid back in the mid 60's...
  13. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Nice pics and thanks. I love those old prop planes. I remember Oregon as being one of the most beautiful states I had been to.
  14. FLHTbiker

That's cool my step dad flew the P51 Mustang and the P38 over France and Germany during WWII, lots of interesting stories. Went flying with him a few years back when he was still flying. He had a ol Grumman 2 seater, he scared the crap out of yea cause he would fly it like he was still in combat.

Yea the Tillamook Cheese Factory is bigger than ever and has become very famous for tourist now. Their wild mountain huckle berry ice cream is to die for :).
  15. FLHTbiker

My favorite the Mountain Huckleberry ice cream at the Cheese Factory, it don't get any better than that. They have 40 other flavors to but never tried them. :D

View attachment 7930

View attachment 7931
  16. Maddog110

Maddog110 Active Member

The air museum is the largest wood (we have a lot of it here in OREGON) structure in the U.S. maybe the world.it be one BIG M.F. there's nothing to compare it to
  17. FLHTbiker

They would have to see it to believe it.
  18. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Then I bet it's made of redwoods.
  19. FLHTbiker

Joshbob here is one of the photos I posted of the interior. Look at how they built the structure with wood. The wood back then that they used was from old growth timber and the wood grain in very dense thus much stronger. They type is probably Doug Fir old growth.

View attachment 7932
  20. FLHTbiker