1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Weld up this triple tree fork brace?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by NeilP, Nov 27, 2010.

1. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

The question may be a bit immaterial, as I may have now just bought a second hand set from e-bay, but anyway, in case the sale does not go through, do you guys think it will be OK to weld up the steering stop on the lower tree...see pics:
    Fork Brace1.jpg

Fork Brace2.jpg

Fork Brace3.jpg

Fork Brace4.jpg
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

neil if you need to weld it , from the pics it should be good to , just make sure there are no cracks running off on any directions
  3. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Did it to my Shovel with no problems.
  4. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

OK, thanks
    Sort of promised to buy the one off ebay last night...both fork braces, and two new fork legs complete...I need the fork tube tops as well, It will be £180 shipped to me. I should probably say ...no thanks now, as I have not actualy paid for them yet, but I would feel a bit bad about mucking the guy around....what it is to have a conscience :(
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

looks doable to me neil....
  6. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

I was initially worried about cracks that are not visible at the moment. I may take it ti work and get the guys in the workshop to do a Non Destructive Test on it to detect the cracks. The NDT guys come round regularly to check things like the aircraft undercarriage legs, and other high stress parts. They either use crack test fluid, or some sort of eddy current testing.

I also need a set of the fork legs. Mine are not bent, but one is a bit pited, and after two seal changes, it still leaks.
    There was this:

Harley sportster chop/bobber forks on eBay (end time 14-Nov-10 12:09:51 GMT)

on ebay, it did not sell, but i have spoken to the guy and said I would buy it from him. I
    The new parts from my local dealer are £180 for the triple tree, and £182 for the two fork legs...plus a load more for the new seals, dust covers etc.

I have promised the bloke I would buy the bits, and it is cheaper..but not new parts...although he did say they are new old stock form a local dealer...but buying on e-bay...always a matter of trust.
  7. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

After I fabricated the fork stop for my wide glide lower tree, I had a farmer buddy weld it in. It works perfectly, and the nice thing is, you can grind it once it's in to change the turning angle if you need to.
  8. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

May be I will have to weld them up anyway.

I bough the forks and triple tree from the e-bay listing abpve...but did not get the guy to check the part numbers.

They are like new..they came off a new bike that was being chopped. But they came off an 04 Dyna, not the Sportster. So they look the same externally (forks that is) but the axle diameter is different. i thought I could maybe just swap the stanchions into my forks...but they have different part numbers as well.

Triple tree is different too...not too different, but it is not the right one.

Wont be dong any spanner work for the next few weeks though as I went over the handle bars of the mountain bike on Christmas day and have broken a finger. it is plated and pinned now and can't move the bloody thing.
  9. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Why would one need to weld the fork stops????
  10. mooseye

mooseye New Member

That will be on the difficult side to weld the block back in solidly. I might be tempted to just build up a new block with filler wire and then grind to shape.
    The original piece would need to be beveled to an extent for full penetration of weld that there would not be much left of it, and with the flow properties of aluminum...
    By using filler to build a new block, you can minimize the heat affected zone on the tree section. In this method a dab of filler can be built upon the base then allowed to cool before the next dab. If you try to weld the block directly back on, it will take much more sustained heat and you may lose the block to a blob anyway.
    edit: I know there are people that can make this weld, as I could myself. Just looking for the best and easiest way with minimal prep and such.
  11. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Well I would not tackle this job myself. I have done a small bit of ally welding in the past, but I would not do this for two reasons:
    1...not confident enough
    2.. no equipment.

Johnny...welding it because I knocked it off when I dropped it..the handle bars now hit the fuel tank
  12. chucktx

have you looked into internal fork stops?? the add on's?
  13. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

NO, never heard of them, how do they work? where exactly do they fit?
  14. chucktx

15. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Ok, thanks interesting.

I'll put that in the bookmarks and get back to it,

Am trying to build a high speed (30-40) mph electric bike at the moment...
  16. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

NeilP - Hope the finger heals OK. - Shouldn't be foolin around on them there dirt diggers - they will get ya in trouble. :D:roflmao:
  17. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Thanks for the advice...but why did you not tell me that last month :gah:
  18. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

NeilP, Hope that finger heals properly.
  19. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

That had to suck!
  20. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Bit of a bugger, yes, did fuel ank in and clock too, I dropped it against a wall at about 15mph...turned into wrong drive ...and there was a wall where there should not have been right around the corner