1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Were going in the Hudson

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Jan 24, 2010.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

amazing!
  3. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Got a couple of friends that are pilots for USAir. Capt Sully is an Icon now!!!:)
  4. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

I hear he only makes around $35k a year - ain't worth it!
  5. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Oh, USAir pilots make a lot more than that! I don't know exactly what their salary is, but I know one who lives a lakefront neighborhood in this area & there, a $35k salary wouldn't leave you enough to make a down payment on a lot, let alone a house. $35k is about what a friend of mine makes @ USAir & all he does is clean out the inside of planes after they've finished the route they flew that day.
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Pilot's make a decent salary....takes a lot of education and ability to be one.
    Capt Sully taught everyone a lesson that day....never panic in a critical situation...which I believe is a skill can't be taught
  7. FLHTbiker

Wonder what he was thinking about as to what the hell we going to do after were in the river. How fast is this plane going to sink, how many people will drown and so on.
  8. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Well here in the UK basic salary for a Pilot First Officer on a small to mid turbo prop aircraft is $38,000. Some of our pilots flying small piston aircraft (single crew) 10-16 seats are getting about $25, 000 per year.

When you think that it has cost about 130,000 US Dollars to get the licence it is not great pay.

A mate of mine working here in Jersey at the local household rubbish disposal facility, is on $50,000, even my niece who has just left school and has gone straight in to the Finance industry....where they pay for all her training, is on $38,000.

Yes some of the long time Captains for the big airlines (Cathy, etc) can be on much bigger salaries...$130,000 or more...but that is rare.

I could get the same pay if I gave up, and went truck driving...building sites/etc....but I would have much longer hours.

To put our local costs in to the picture...a Single bedroom apartment of 64 Sq meter (88 sq feet) , bedroom, livingroom/kitchen,and bathroom would cost you about $450,000 US Dollars

As to what Captain Sully was thinking when he put the think down, he was probably more concerned with getting the thing down level without dipping a wing and dropping one engine in the water in before the other and cartwheeling the thing. Glad it was not me...Very Well done to the chap
  9. FLHTbiker

Where is the Jersey Channel Islands. Hell, I first thought that you were off the east coast of the US when you first started posting.
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

11. FLHTbiker

Have never heard of em before, wow leaned something new again.
  12. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

We have British Passports, but local families do not consider ourselves to be British. Self governing, a British Dependency, not part of Europe. main industry used to be Farming, Fishing and Tourism...but Finance has taken over now.

Jersey on google maps

Here is my yard and workshop

We are slowly getting surrounded by housing developments

If you look east from Jersey, along the French coast towards the towns of Caen and Le Havre...The north facing beaches along that coast are the Normandy Landing Beaches , that were used by the Americans at the end of the Second World War, the D-Day landings when Europe was liberated from the Germans.

American Cemetery & Memorial

Zoom in to the "A" or go and find it in Google Earth if you have it.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010