1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

What A Great Ride Though the Mountains today

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Apr 21, 2012.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

What a great it was indeed. I rode 347.7 miles today. We took Hwy 26 up over MT Hood ( some pics of it here) then down Hwy 35 to Hood River and then over the Hood River steel grated bridge. From there we went up Hwy 14 on the Washington side of the Columbia. Turned left at the Klickitat canyon road and then rode that to the Town of Goldendale.
    We had a great lunch, Maddog had a fresh Shrimp cocktail and I had my usual (Club Sandwich) was really good. There in Goldendale then Maddog and I left heading back down to the Columbia River. Crossed over into Biggs Junction then up to a town called Wasco. We checked out a 1880's built motel and still be operated as a motel by a friend of his. Maddog said it was even used as a brothel back in the day. Wished I would have taken a pic of it.
    We then crossed over and went down into the Deschutes canyon and along the Deshutes river. Pretty spectacular area to ride. Got some photos of it that are posted here.
    After leaving that area we were once again climbing our way back up and over MT Hood then home. All toll as I said I rode 347 miles today.

Attached Files:

2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the pics , good looking mountians in the back not sure of some of those mugs next to the bikes :D Snow made look around for ole cardboard :roflmao:
  3. FLHTbiker

Cowboy, we had such diversified weather today, snow alongside the road, to mountain canyons to high desert then back to mountains with snow. At one point it got so warm Maddog and I were riding in short sleeve T-shirts.
    Maddog said it right, its a good day to be me. :)
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Any near death experiences????:rolleyes:
  5. FLHTbiker

Nope just a great ride:)
  6. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Sounds like it. That's pretty good milage in one day.
  7. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

If I lived there, I would be carrying a 6 piece RL Winston flyrod and a selection of flys. Life couldn't be better biking and fishing the "Chutes! Nice photos!!!
  8. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Great pix, sounds like one heck of a day. I always like seeing pictures from areas in country I can't get to easily. So how many hours did you guys ride to get in 347 miles, stops, and lunch. You guys must have had a blast, just makes you feel alive! ;)
  9. FLHTbiker

We left the dealer at 8:30 AM and rode about 100 miles to our first stop where the MT Hood pics were taken. Our group stopped again in Hood River as there was a long line to pay the toll across the steel grated bridge. Yea, a toll, man that bridge was paid for many years ago but guess they like the money coming in. Next stop was Goldendale for lunch. After that Maddog and I were riding by ourselves and was more fun, we were moving. Stopped in Wasco to look at the old motel Maddogs friend owns then to take a few pics of the river. Next stop was to put our coats back on when we hit US 26 over MT Hood, got cold going over. Last stop was for gas just before I got home. Got 43.7 and 44.8 for Mileage. Got home I think it was 6:30 and the roads were all Hwy or back roads. Only 17 miles on a freeway.

Fatboy, there is some really great fishing in these rivers. We passed up a few guys standing in the river in places, fly fishing. :)
  10. FLHTbiker

Just had some other friends call and guess what. They want me to take em to the same place I rode yesterday. Well, here we go again.:D
  11. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

"Tolls" I hear ya. Thats all we get around here are tolls. Most bridges the tolls pay to keep the subway fare at $2.50. (You can go anywhere in NYC and ride as long as you want continously for $2.50 thanks to the trucks and car drivers paying as much as $14 to get across a bridge. Now they doubled the crossings between NY and NJ to pay for the NEW World Trade Center! So Bin Laden is still F ing us. (With the politicians help of course)
  12. Maddog110

Maddog110 Active Member

A great ride it was flht left out one thing,a big fir tree fell along side hy26 as we were headed up the south side of mt.hood.FL started yellen on the cb,holy s£€t did you see that tree fall,did I see it, I willed it to fall.that was our close call for the day. The weather is so good I did a 175 mi.ride this a.m. To mt st.Helens,awesome ride.
  13. Maddog110

Maddog110 Active Member

14. FLHTbiker

Yep' another great ride just a repeat of the same ride the day before. Two couples heard about that ride on Saturday and asked if I would take them on the same ride. Sheesh, ;) well of course. Just rode a different bike. Took the Heritage Springer today. That bike just runs so good and handles beautifully. Simply a great bike to spend the day on.
    Here are a few pics from today, course it's mostly of my baby :D.

First 3 pics are the Kickitat river, she's running high with a bit of color to it, snows melting. Two deer came running down the hill that's in the pic.

What a another great day :)
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335151356.529585.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335151381.067592.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335151403.536593.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335151416.599058.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335151444.589598.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335151464.924036.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  15. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

16. FLHTbiker

I have 41700 miles on it :)