1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

What Are.......

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 29, 2013.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

tell tale signs of a clutch that is going bad when the clutch isn't slipping?
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  2. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

what is it doing that you dont like? have you pulled cover and adjusted as per manual, and what does primary fluid look like? has the fluid been changed and with H/D conventional fluid or syn. ?
  3. JohnnyBiker

Primary fluid is darn near brand new, maybe 1k on it and is non synthetic HD primary fluid. It may need slight readjustment as I just had a new clutch cable installed. There is a humming noise that is coming from the back end of the bike. Brakes are good as the bike stops really well, brand new tires. I can't imagine it being a belt as the tires were just put on Friday and my indy would have said something if there were an issue. I heard it as I was coming up to an Applebee's but after we ate, fired the bike back up, started rolling and didn't hear it anymore. I am thinking that the fluid was cold enough (thickened) and was distributing properly. :confused:
  4. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Belt is to tight and or wheel bearings were not checked!
  5. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

If it was primary fluid would have made the noise at idle or rolling that chain is moving the drum no matter if its rolling or not. I'm betting on the belt to tight 100 percent
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yep sounds like a tight rear belt or overtight rear axle.
    Presume it wasn't doing this prior to the tire change.

It could also be the tread on the new tires different pattern
    on specific roads may make noise..
  7. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

If you put in gear,running with the clutch pulled in and noise goes away look for a too tight throw out (pushrod) bearing. If so get it taken care of right away.
  8. JohnnyBiker

After church I will get the girls to sit on it and see if the belt tightens like a piano string. My first thoughts were that the belt was rubbing or something but the noise is not constant. It came and went, but noticeable and only heard it at or near stop signs.

Yep, never had this noise prior to this tire change, but wouldn't you think that if it would have been there right from the start? Roads? It is hard to describe this sound other than it sounds like hollow wind blowing. That does not remind me of road noise. Just saying.

I will pay a little closer attention to that today. I will take it out and see what happens.
  9. JohnnyBiker

I am going to take the bike to church and then go for a short ride afterwards and see if I get the noise with just me on it. Talk soon folks.
  10. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

It happened to me after a tire change also. Belt too tight. You can always back off a few flats on the adjuster screws take a short ride to confirm or not.
  11. JohnnyBiker

I had Hot Rider and my oldest daughter sit on the bike while I check the belt tension. Boy, is that a little too tight. Tomorrow I will bring it back to Derek and I will have him readjust it. No big deal.
  12. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

why not just loosen the axle & re-adjust the belt yourself,not a real big deal
  13. Fatboy128

+1
  14. JohnnyBiker

Yep, I sure do need to get that belt adjusted. It is real noticeable now. :banghead:
  15. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

That's something your indie should have checked after putting a new tire on.
  16. JohnnyBiker

Just got back from Derek's and we adjusted the belt. It was right at the maz measurement without me on it and then add Hot Rider to it and she was pretty tight. All adjusted and I can tell that there is a huge difference already.

I didn't do it myself because I have never adjusted a belt before and I do not want something screwed up as I am so close to decent sized riding trip with Ultra200922 and of course Red Rider. However, by watching how it was done, not a problem that I can do that myself. ;)
  17. Fatboy128

Does ya bike have religion?!? :p
  18. JohnnyBiker

Thanks for all of the input guys. Problem solved. :cool:
  19. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

ya think!!!??
  20. Fatboy128

Some Indys are their own worst enemy. I got ripped off on a rear tire and rear brake pads for $500 and the belt was so tight when I rode off you could play the guitar lead in to the Beach Boys "Fun, Fun, Fun" on it. Took it home and fixed it myself never to cross that effin Indys doorstep again.